Using each rel as both outer and inner for JOIN_ANTI

From
Richard Guo
Date:
Hi hackers,

We may have anti-joins in several cases. Sublinks of 'NOT EXISTS' may be
pulled up as anti-joins. Left joins whose join quals are strict for any
nullable var that is forced null by higher qual levels will also be
reduced to anti-joins. So anti-joins are very commonly used in practice.

Currently when populating anti-join with paths, we do not try to swap
the outer and inner to get both paths. That may make us miss some
cheaper paths.

# insert into foo select i, i from generate_series(1,10)i;
INSERT 0 10

# insert into bar select i, i from generate_series(1,5000000)i;
INSERT 0 5000000

# explain select * from foo left join bar on foo.a = bar.c where bar.c is null;
                               QUERY PLAN
 Hash Anti Join  (cost=154156.00..173691.19 rows=1 width=16)
   Hash Cond: (foo.a = bar.c)
   ->  Seq Scan on foo  (cost=0.00..1.10 rows=10 width=8)
   ->  Hash  (cost=72124.00..72124.00 rows=5000000 width=8)
         ->  Seq Scan on bar  (cost=0.00..72124.00 rows=5000000 width=8)
(5 rows)

I believe if we use the smaller table 'foo' as inner side for this
query, we would have a cheaper plan.

So I'm wondering whether it's worthwhile to use each rel as both outer
and inner for anti-joins, maybe by inventing a JOIN_REVERSE_ANTI join
type.

Thanks
Richard

Re: Using each rel as both outer and inner for JOIN_ANTI

From
Heikki Linnakangas
Date:
On 24/06/2021 12:50, Richard Guo wrote:
> Hi hackers,
>
> We may have anti-joins in several cases. Sublinks of 'NOT EXISTS' may be
> pulled up as anti-joins. Left joins whose join quals are strict for any
> nullable var that is forced null by higher qual levels will also be
> reduced to anti-joins. So anti-joins are very commonly used in practice.
>
> Currently when populating anti-join with paths, we do not try to swap
> the outer and inner to get both paths. That may make us miss some
> cheaper paths.
>
> # insert into foo select i, i from generate_series(1,10)i;
> INSERT 0 10
>
> # insert into bar select i, i from generate_series(1,5000000)i;
> INSERT 0 5000000
>
> # explain select * from foo left join bar on foo.a = bar.c where bar.c
> is null;
>                                 QUERY PLAN
>   Hash Anti Join  (cost=154156.00..173691.19 rows=1 width=16)
>     Hash Cond: (foo.a = bar.c)
>     ->  Seq Scan on foo  (cost=0.00..1.10 rows=10 width=8)
>     ->  Hash  (cost=72124.00..72124.00 rows=5000000 width=8)
>           ->  Seq Scan on bar  (cost=0.00..72124.00 rows=5000000 width=8)
> (5 rows)
>
> I believe if we use the smaller table 'foo' as inner side for this
> query, we would have a cheaper plan.

How would that work?

- Heikki

Re: Using each rel as both outer and inner for JOIN_ANTI

Date:
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> writes:
> On 24/06/2021 12:50, Richard Guo wrote:
>> I believe if we use the smaller table 'foo' as inner side for this
>> query, we would have a cheaper plan.

> How would that work?

I think you could make it work for the hash-join case by extending
the existing mechanism for right joins: emit nothing during the main
scan, but mark hashtable entries when a match is found.  Then make
a post-pass and emit hash entries that never found a match.  So
basically just the inverse behavior of a right join, but with the
same state info.

Merge join could likely support "right anti join" too, though the
benefit of swapping inputs tends to be small there, so it may not be
worth doing.

Obviously there's a pretty fair amount of code to write to make this
happen.

            regards, tom lane

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 10:14 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> writes:
> On 24/06/2021 12:50, Richard Guo wrote:
>> I believe if we use the smaller table 'foo' as inner side for this
>> query, we would have a cheaper plan.

> How would that work?

I think you could make it work for the hash-join case by extending
the existing mechanism for right joins: emit nothing during the main
scan, but mark hashtable entries when a match is found.  Then make
a post-pass and emit hash entries that never found a match.  So
basically just the inverse behavior of a right join, but with the
same state info.

Merge join could likely support "right anti join" too, though the
benefit of swapping inputs tends to be small there, so it may not be
worth doing.

Obviously there's a pretty fair amount of code to write to make this
happen.

Thanks for the explanation. Attached is a demo code for the hash-join
case, which is only for PoC to show how we can make it work. It's far
from complete, at least we need to adjust the cost calculation for this
'right anti join'.

Am I going in the right direction?

Thanks
Richard
Attachment

Re: Using each rel as both outer and inner for JOIN_ANTI

From
Emre Hasegeli
Date:
> Thanks for the explanation. Attached is a demo code for the hash-join
> case, which is only for PoC to show how we can make it work. It's far
> from complete, at least we need to adjust the cost calculation for this
> 'right anti join'.

I applied the patch and executed some queries.  Hash Right Anti Joins
seem to be working correctly.  Though, some of the tests are failing.
I guessed it's because the other join algorithms do not support right
anti join, but I couldn't reproduce it.

I am impressed by how simple the patch is: only 2 lines to support a
new join algorithm.  This is a good case for the quality of Postgres
code.  I hope supporting the other join algorithms would be similar.

I am not sure how the cost estimation should differ from straight anti
join.  It seems to me that the planner is already making the right
choice by taking into account the cost of the Hash node which makes
the whole cost greater when the inner table is much bigger.

I am not an expert planner, but it feels to me like a good feature
that can provide better plans in some cases.  Given it works correctly
and the implementation is so simple, the only argument against it may
be increased planning time.  I know that the planner performance is
affected negatively by the number of join paths to consider.  This may
not be a bigger deal as typically there are not many anti joins in a
query, but it'd still be a good idea to do some performance tests.

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 3:55 PM Emre Hasegeli <emre@hasegeli.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the explanation. Attached is a demo code for the hash-join
> case, which is only for PoC to show how we can make it work. It's far
> from complete, at least we need to adjust the cost calculation for this
> 'right anti join'.

I applied the patch and executed some queries.  Hash Right Anti Joins
seem to be working correctly.  Though, some of the tests are failing.
I guessed it's because the other join algorithms do not support right
anti join, but I couldn't reproduce it.

Thanks for verifying this patch.

I am impressed by how simple the patch is: only 2 lines to support a
new join algorithm.  This is a good case for the quality of Postgres
code.  I hope supporting the other join algorithms would be similar.

Yes, thanks to the excellent design pattern of the execution codes, we
only need very few changes to support this new join type.

I am not sure how the cost estimation should differ from straight anti
join.  It seems to me that the planner is already making the right
choice by taking into account the cost of the Hash node which makes
the whole cost greater when the inner table is much bigger.

I think we can basically use the same cost calculation as with anti
joins, since they share the fact that the executor will stop after the
first match. However, there are still some differences. Such as when we
consider the number of tuples that will pass the basic join, I think we
need to use unmatched inner rows, rather than unmatched outer rows.

I am not an expert planner, but it feels to me like a good feature
that can provide better plans in some cases.  Given it works correctly
and the implementation is so simple, the only argument against it may
be increased planning time.  I know that the planner performance is
affected negatively by the number of join paths to consider.  This may
not be a bigger deal as typically there are not many anti joins in a
query, but it'd still be a good idea to do some performance tests.

Agree. Performance tests are necessary if we consider finishing this
patch.

Thanks
Richard

Re: Using each rel as both outer and inner for JOIN_ANTI

From
Ronan Dunklau
Date:
Le mardi 29 juin 2021, 10:55:59 CEST Richard Guo a écrit :
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 3:55 PM Emre Hasegeli <emre@hasegeli.com> wrote:
> > > Thanks for the explanation. Attached is a demo code for the hash-join
> > > case, which is only for PoC to show how we can make it work. It's far
> > > from complete, at least we need to adjust the cost calculation for this
> > > 'right anti join'.
> >
> > I applied the patch and executed some queries.  Hash Right Anti Joins
> > seem to be working correctly.  Though, some of the tests are failing.
> > I guessed it's because the other join algorithms do not support right
> > anti join, but I couldn't reproduce it.
>
> Thanks for verifying this patch.

I also ran the tests on this patch, and can confirm the tests are failing.

The reason for that is that you request a new outer tuple whenever we have a
match, even when the outer tuple could match several tuples from the hash
table: we end up emitting the duplicates because we switched to another tuple
after the first match.

You can set up a simple test case like this:

create table t1 (id int);
create table t2 (id int);
insert into t1 select generate_series (1, 10000);
insert into t2 VALUES (1), (1), (-1), (-1);
analyze t1, t2;

set enable_hashjoin = off;
explain (analyze) select * from t2 where not exists (SELECT 1 FROM t1 where
t1.id = t2.id);
set enable_nestloop = off;
set enable_hashjoin = on;
explain (analyze) select * from t2 where not exists (SELECT 1 FROM t1 where
t1.id = t2.id);

Also, I'm not familiar enough with the hash join algorithm to know if the
approach of "scanning every outer tuple, skip emitting matching inner tuples"
would be correct, but this is the first problem I notice. Not getting into the
HJ_NEED_NEW_OUTER state when the join type is JOIN_RIGHT_ANTI seems to fix this
specific issue tough.

> I think we can basically use the same cost calculation as with anti
> joins, since they share the fact that the executor will stop after the
> first match. However, there are still some differences. Such as when we
> consider the number of tuples that will pass the basic join, I think we
> need to use unmatched inner rows, rather than unmatched outer rows.

Due to the fact we cannot just skip at the first match, I'm not sure this works
either.

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 10:41 PM Ronan Dunklau <ronan.dunklau@aiven.io> wrote:
Le mardi 29 juin 2021, 10:55:59 CEST Richard Guo a écrit :
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 3:55 PM Emre Hasegeli <emre@hasegeli.com> wrote:
> > > Thanks for the explanation. Attached is a demo code for the hash-join
> > > case, which is only for PoC to show how we can make it work. It's far
> > > from complete, at least we need to adjust the cost calculation for this
> > > 'right anti join'.
> >
> > I applied the patch and executed some queries.  Hash Right Anti Joins
> > seem to be working correctly.  Though, some of the tests are failing.
> > I guessed it's because the other join algorithms do not support right
> > anti join, but I couldn't reproduce it.
>
> Thanks for verifying this patch.

I also ran the tests on this patch, and can confirm the tests are failing.

The reason for that is that you request a new outer tuple whenever we have a
match, even when the outer tuple could match several tuples from the hash
table: we end up emitting the duplicates because we switched to another tuple
after the first match.

Yes, thanks! I was making a big mistake here thinking the executor can
stop after the first match. That's not true. We need to use each outer
tuple to find all the matches and mark the corresponding hashtable
entries. I have updated the patch with the fix.

> I think we can basically use the same cost calculation as with anti
> joins, since they share the fact that the executor will stop after the
> first match. However, there are still some differences. Such as when we
> consider the number of tuples that will pass the basic join, I think we
> need to use unmatched inner rows, rather than unmatched outer rows.

Due to the fact we cannot just skip at the first match, I'm not sure this works
either.

This is not correct any more since the fact that the executor will stop
after the first match does not hold true. A brief thought show me that
we can use the same cost calculation as with right joins.

Thanks
Richard

Attachment

Date:
> Yes, thanks! I was making a big mistake here thinking the executor can
> stop after the first match. That's not true. We need to use each outer
> tuple to find all the matches and mark the corresponding hashtable
> entries. I have updated the patch with the fix.

It looks OK to me.

> > > I think we can basically use the same cost calculation as with anti
> > > joins, since they share the fact that the executor will stop after the
> > > first match. However, there are still some differences. Such as when we
> > > consider the number of tuples that will pass the basic join, I think we
> > > need to use unmatched inner rows, rather than unmatched outer rows.
> >
> > Due to the fact we cannot just skip at the first match, I'm not sure this
> > works
> > either.
>
> This is not correct any more since the fact that the executor will stop
> after the first match does not hold true. A brief thought show me that
> we can use the same cost calculation as with right joins.

Once you do that, you should also add test coverage for those new plans. Also
consider adding a commitfest entry.

Ronan Dunklau

Date:
Le jeudi 1 juillet 2021, 09:09:38 CEST Ronan Dunklau a écrit :
> > Yes, thanks! I was making a big mistake here thinking the executor can
> > stop after the first match. That's not true. We need to use each outer
> > tuple to find all the matches and mark the corresponding hashtable
> > entries. I have updated the patch with the fix.
>
> It looks OK to me.

I forgot to mention: you also have failing tests due to the plans changing to
use the new join type. This might not be the case anymore once you update the
cost model, but if that's the case the tests should be updated.

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 3:18 PM Ronan Dunklau <ronan.dunklau@aiven.io> wrote:
Le jeudi 1 juillet 2021, 09:09:38 CEST Ronan Dunklau a écrit :
> > Yes, thanks! I was making a big mistake here thinking the executor can
> > stop after the first match. That's not true. We need to use each outer
> > tuple to find all the matches and mark the corresponding hashtable
> > entries. I have updated the patch with the fix.
>
> It looks OK to me.

I forgot to mention: you also have failing tests due to the plans changing to
use the new join type. This might not be the case anymore once you update the
cost model, but if that's the case the tests should be updated.

Thanks! Test cases are updated in v3 patch. Also merge join can do the
'right anti join' too in the same patch.

Thanks again for reviewing this patch.

Thanks
Richard

Attachment

Re: Using each rel as both outer and inner for JOIN_ANTI

From
Zhihong Yu

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 8:24 PM Richard Guo <guofenglinux@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 3:18 PM Ronan Dunklau <ronan.dunklau@aiven.io> wrote:
Le jeudi 1 juillet 2021, 09:09:38 CEST Ronan Dunklau a écrit :
> > Yes, thanks! I was making a big mistake here thinking the executor can
> > stop after the first match. That's not true. We need to use each outer
> > tuple to find all the matches and mark the corresponding hashtable
> > entries. I have updated the patch with the fix.
>
> It looks OK to me.

I forgot to mention: you also have failing tests due to the plans changing to
use the new join type. This might not be the case anymore once you update the
cost model, but if that's the case the tests should be updated.

Thanks! Test cases are updated in v3 patch. Also merge join can do the
'right anti join' too in the same patch.

Thanks again for reviewing this patch.

Thanks
Richard

Hi,
Minor comment:
+                    * In a right-antijoin, we never return a matched tuple.

matched tuple -> matching tuple

Cheers

On Fri, Jul 2, 2021 at 11:59 AM Zhihong Yu <zyu@yugabyte.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 8:24 PM Richard Guo <guofenglinux@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 3:18 PM Ronan Dunklau <ronan.dunklau@aiven.io> wrote:
Le jeudi 1 juillet 2021, 09:09:38 CEST Ronan Dunklau a écrit :
> > Yes, thanks! I was making a big mistake here thinking the executor can
> > stop after the first match. That's not true. We need to use each outer
> > tuple to find all the matches and mark the corresponding hashtable
> > entries. I have updated the patch with the fix.
>
> It looks OK to me.

I forgot to mention: you also have failing tests due to the plans changing to
use the new join type. This might not be the case anymore once you update the
cost model, but if that's the case the tests should be updated.

Thanks! Test cases are updated in v3 patch. Also merge join can do the
'right anti join' too in the same patch.

Thanks again for reviewing this patch.

Thanks
Richard

Hi,
Minor comment:
+                    * In a right-antijoin, we never return a matched tuple.

matched tuple -> matching tuple

Thanks for reviewing.

The comment for JOIN_ANTI in ExecHashJoinImpl/ExecMergeJoin is:

"In an antijoin, we never return a matched tuple"

So I think we'd better keep it consistent for JOIN_RIGHT_ANTI?