Cities name column name inconsistent

From
PG Doc comments form
Date:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/tutorial-fk.html

In earlier sections of the tutorial, the cities table had a column called
'name'. In this chapter, when creating the revised schema with foreign keys,
the same column in the cities is now called 'city'.

Re: Cities name column name inconsistent

From
"David G. Johnston"

In earlier sections of the tutorial, the cities table had a column called
'name'. In this chapter, when creating the revised schema with foreign keys,
the same column in the cities is now called 'city'.

You are correct.  I don't see an urgent need to spend time figuring out something different.

David J.

Re: Cities name column name inconsistent

Date:
On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 12:48:25PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 12, 2021, 12:28 PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org>
> wrote:
>
>     The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:
>
>     Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/tutorial-fk.html
>
>     In earlier sections of the tutorial, the cities table had a column called
>     'name'. In this chapter, when creating the revised schema with foreign
>     keys,
>     the same column in the cities is now called 'city'.
>

> You are correct.  I don't see an urgent need to spend time figuring out
> something different.

I wrote the attached patch to improve this case.

Re: Cities name column name inconsistent

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 14.06.21 18:29, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 12:48:25PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 12, 2021, 12:28 PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>      The following documentation comment has been logged on the website:
>>
>>      Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/13/tutorial-fk.html
>>
>>      In earlier sections of the tutorial, the cities table had a column called
>>      'name'. In this chapter, when creating the revised schema with foreign
>>      keys,
>>      the same column in the cities is now called 'city'.
>>

>> You are correct.  I don't see an urgent need to spend time figuring out
>> something different.
>
> I wrote the attached patch to improve this case.

The tutorial documentation is meant to be consistent with src/tutorial/,
which uses cities.name, so calling the column "city" was just plain
wrong in that respect.

Re: Cities name column name inconsistent

Date:
On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 01:24:01PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 14.06.21 18:29, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 12, 2021 at 12:48:25PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> > > On Sat, Jun 12, 2021, 12:28 PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org>
> > > You are correct.  I don't see an urgent need to spend time figuring out
> > > something different.
> >
> > I wrote the attached patch to improve this case.
>
> The tutorial documentation is meant to be consistent with src/tutorial/,
> which uses cities.name, so calling the column "city" was just plain wrong in
> that respect.

Patch applied back to 9.6.