BUG #17051: Incorrect params inferred on PREPARE

From
PG Bug reporting form
Date:

Bug reference:      17051
Logged by:          Arthur McGibbon
Email address:      arthur.mcgibbon@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 13.3
Operating system:   Windows 10 + WSL2 + Docker

Using the table...

  CREATE TABLE testSchema.testTable (timestampCol timestamp);

...and preparing the query...

  PREPARE testQuery (unknown) AS
  UPDATE testSchema.testTable
  SET timestampCol = CASE WHEN timestampCol IS NULL THEN $1 ELSE NULL END;

...results in an error...

  ERROR:  column "timestampcol" is of type timestamp without time zone but
expression is of type text
  LINE 3:   set timestampCol = case when timestampCol is null then $1 ...
                             ^
  HINT:  You will need to rewrite or cast the expression.
  SQL state: 42804
  Character: 80

Specifying the parameter as timestamp works without error...
  PREPARE testQuery (timestamp) AS
  UPDATE testSchema.testTable
  SET timestampCol = CASE WHEN timestampCol IS NULL THEN $1 ELSE NULL END;

I'd hope that PostgreSQL would infer a "timestamp" type here or reply with
an error that it couldn't infer the parameter type.
Why does it default to type "text" and then effectively say the query is
invalid?

I can cast my parameter in the query to get around this but am submitting
the bug because inferring "text" seems wrong.

Re: BUG #17051: Incorrect params inferred on PREPARE

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
I'd hope that PostgreSQL would infer a "timestamp" type here or reply with
an error that it couldn't infer the parameter type.
Why does it default to type "text" and then effectively say the query is
invalid?

Because no one has gotten a patch approved (not sure when/if there was a last attempt for this specific situation) to make the system “smarter”.

I can cast my parameter in the query to get around this but am submitting
the bug because inferring "text" seems wrong.

Maybe, but the failure to be more intelligent in this area is not itself a bug, and the rules for unknown literal resolution defaulting to text are documented.

David J.

Re: BUG #17051: Incorrect params inferred on PREPARE

From
Arthur McGibbon
Date:
Thank you for the quick reply.