pg_upgrade not excluding system tables in EPAS

From
Tim
Date:
Hello Gentlemen,

I am currently performing an upgrade of EPAS12 => EPAS13 via pg_upgrade... which I've done on a few clusters already with no issues, but this most recent run has me running into a problem.

It fails the check with this message:
  • fatal
  • Your installation contains system-defined composite type(s) in user tables.
And the output shows that it thinks sys.callback_queue_table.user_data is a user defined table. Which it is not, and cannot be dropped or altered. As I understand it should be excluding the sys schema that EPAS has. But for some reason it is not?

I've checked all the system settings I can find, and can't figure why now it is having this issue. Am I missing something? Is there a way to define the system tables somewhere in postgres?

Re: pg_upgrade not excluding system tables in EPAS

Date:
Tim <timfosho@gmail.com> writes:
> I am currently performing an upgrade of EPAS12 => EPAS13 via pg_upgrade...

You really ought to be discussing this with EDB Support, not here.

> It fails the check with this message:
>    - Your installation contains system-defined composite type(s) in user
>    tables.

Hmm.  That is a new check in 13.3 ...

> And the output shows that it thinks sys.callback_queue_table.user_data is a
> user defined table. Which it is not, and cannot be dropped or altered.

... and I'm not sure what user_data is, but it's not present in community
Postgres.  My guess as to what is happening here is that that pg_upgrade
test needs to be tweaked to understand which of the types that EPAS adds
are safe or not safe in this context.  Anyway, you gotta talk to them.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_upgrade not excluding system tables in EPAS

Date:
On Fri, May 14, 2021 at 03:37:18PM -0400, Tim wrote:
> Hello Gentlemen,
>
> I am currently performing an upgrade of EPAS12 => EPAS13 via pg_upgrade...
> which I've done on a few clusters already with no issues, but this most recent
> run has me running into a problem.
>
> It fails the check with this message:
>
>   • fatal
>   • Your installation contains system-defined composite type(s) in user tables.
>
> And the output shows that it thinks sys.callback_queue_table.user_data is a
> user defined table. Which it is not, and cannot be dropped or altered. As I
> understand it should be excluding the sys schema that EPAS has. But for some
> reason it is not?
>
> I've checked all the system settings I can find, and can't figure why now it is
> having this issue. Am I missing something? Is there a way to define the system
> tables somewhere in postgres?

As far as community Postgres is concerned,
sys.callback_queue_table.user_data is not part of the community
distribution.  You need to ask EDB about this.

Re: pg_upgrade not excluding system tables in EPAS

From
Tim
Date:
Thanks for the quick response!

Yes that seems to be definitely it, didn't realize 13.3 was literally released yesterday. I will follow up with the EDB regarding getting this bug resolved.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>        https://momjian.us
  EDB                                      https://enterprisedb.com