BUG #17007: server process (PID XXXX) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault

From
PG Bug reporting form
Date:

Bug reference:      17007
Logged by:          varun kamal
Email address:      kamalvarun2004@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 12.2
Operating system:   RHEL 7.5

Dear Team,

We are facing an issue once in 2 days that Postgres instance crashes with
following error

 "server process (PID XXXX) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault"
with following query.
DETAIL:  Failed process was running: SELECT NULL AS TABLE_CAT, n.nspname AS
TABLE_SCHEM,   ct.relname AS TABLE_NAME, a.attname AS COLUMN_NAME,
(i.keys).n AS KEY_SEQ, ci.relname AS PK_NAME FROM pg_catalog.pg_class ct
JOIN pg_catalog.pg_attribute a ON (ct.oid = a.attrelid)   JOIN
pg_catalog.pg_namespace n ON (ct.relnamespace = n.oid)   JOIN (SELECT
i.indexrelid, i.indrelid, i.indisprimary,
information_schema._pg_expandarray(i.indkey) AS keys         FROM
pg_catalog.pg_index i) i     ON (a.attnum = (i.keys).x AND a.attrelid =
i.indrelid)   JOIN pg_catalog.pg_class ci ON (ci.oid = i.indexrelid) WHERE
true  AND ct.relname = '<REL_NAME>' AND i.indisprimary  ORDER BY table_name,
pk_name, key_seq

Regards,
Varun

We are facing an issue once in 2 days that Postgres instance crashes with
following error

You need to upgrade to a supported version (12.7 in your major version line).

David J.

> On Thursday, May 13, 2021, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org>
> wrote:
>> PostgreSQL version: 12.2
>> We are facing an issue once in 2 days that Postgres instance crashes with
>> following error

> You need to upgrade to a supported version (12.7 in your major version
> line).

Yeah, that would certainly be the first thing to try.  If the problem is
still there, we'd really need quite a bit more information to diagnose
it.  A stack trace from the point of the crash would be quite helpful:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Generating_a_stack_trace_of_a_PostgreSQL_backend

Even better would be if you can reduce the problem to a self-contained
test case, though I realize that might be hard.

            regards, tom lane

Many thanks Tom and David.

We will try to upgrade to supported version.

Regards,
Varun

On Thu, May 13, 2021, 9:11 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Thursday, May 13, 2021, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org>
> wrote:
>> PostgreSQL version: 12.2
>> We are facing an issue once in 2 days that Postgres instance crashes with
>> following error

> You need to upgrade to a supported version (12.7 in your major version
> line).

Yeah, that would certainly be the first thing to try.  If the problem is
still there, we'd really need quite a bit more information to diagnose
it.  A stack trace from the point of the crash would be quite helpful:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Generating_a_stack_trace_of_a_PostgreSQL_backend

Even better would be if you can reduce the problem to a self-contained
test case, though I realize that might be hard.

                        regards, tom lane
Dear Tom and David,

Kindly help me to understand below points.

1. Is it known bug in this particular version (12.2).
2. Upgrading to 12.7 will resolve this issue.

Regards,
Varun

We will try to upgrade to supported version.

Regards,
Varun

On Thu, May 13, 2021, 9:11 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Thursday, May 13, 2021, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org>
> wrote:
>> PostgreSQL version: 12.2
>> We are facing an issue once in 2 days that Postgres instance crashes with
>> following error

> You need to upgrade to a supported version (12.7 in your major version
> line).

Yeah, that would certainly be the first thing to try.  If the problem is
still there, we'd really need quite a bit more information to diagnose
it.  A stack trace from the point of the crash would be quite helpful:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Generating_a_stack_trace_of_a_PostgreSQL_backend

Even better would be if you can reduce the problem to a self-contained
test case, though I realize that might be hard.

                        regards, tom lane
Kindly help me to understand below points.

1. Is it known bug in this particular version (12.2).
2. Upgrading to 12.7 will resolve this issue.

You are welcome to scan the release notes to figure out whether the described behavior was seen and fixed in the last year plus.  But when we say releases are unsupported the expectation is that bug reports against those releases are expected to be ignored (though exceptions do arise).

If you could provide a self-contained reproducible test case I’m sure someone would be willing to run that against both the older and newer versions.

David J.