Hi,

I am new in postgresql and I am trying to install PostgreSQL on Linux server but instead of using the default location for the binaries I want to install them in a different directory.

I have research for a while and I cannot find any information on how to do that using the dnf utility which is what the PostgreSQL website gives me as instruction when I go the download page.

I have a directory called /pg01 that I want to use to install the binaries. The postgreSQL download site (https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/ ) gives me the following steps to install the binaries:

Steps to install postgresql 13

sudo dnf install -y https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/reporpms/EL-8-x86_64/pgdg-redhat-repo-latest.noarch.rpm
sudo dnf -qy module disable postgresql
sudo dnf install -y postgresql13-server
sudo /usr/pgsql-13/bin/postgresql-13-setup initdb
sudo systemctl enable postgresql-13
sudo systemctl start postgresql-13

That set of instructions shown right above, installs the binaries under the /usr/pgsql-13, and what I want is to install the binaries under /pg01 instead of /usr.

My question is, what are the changes I need to do in the instructions detailed right above, so that I can get the binary installation under the /pg01 directory instead of the default /usr directory.

Thanks in advance for any help you can five me on this.

Regards,

Allie

Hello,

On Fri, 2021-04-02 at 22:01 +0000, Allie Crawford wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new in postgresql and I am trying to install PostgreSQL on Linux
> server but instead of using the default location for the binaries I
> want to install them in a different directory.
> I have research for a while and I cannot find any information on how
> to do that using the dnf utility which is what the PostgreSQL website
> gives me as instruction when I go the download page.
>
> I have a directory called /pg01 that I want to use to install the
> binaries. The postgreSQL download site (
> https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/ ) gives me the
> following steps to install the binaries:
>

> That set of instructions shown right above, installs the binaries
> under the/usr/pgsql-13, and what I want is to install the binaries
> under /pg01 instead of /usr.
> My question is, what are the changes I need to do in the instructions
> detailed right above, so that I can get the binary installation under
> the /pg01 directory instead of the default /usr directory.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you can five me on this.
>
> Regards,
> Allie

Most Linux distros keep the binaries by major version. So when you
install version 14 it will go into /usr/pgsql-14.
Thus, by using different port numbers you can run multiple versions on
the same box.
Useful for development, QA, etc.

HTH,
Robert