Temporary Files

From
"Campbell, Lance"

PostgreSQL 12

I just increased my work_mem to 24 MB.  I cleared my statistics.  I then went back later and saw the following:

Temporary files: 21

Size of temporary files 451 MB.

If you divide 451 by 21 you get 21.4 .  I would have expected to see an average size greater than 24 MB.  This implies to me that PostgreSQL is creating temp files that are smaller than 24 MB.

What am I not understanding?

Thanks,

LANCE CAMPBELL

Software Architect

Web Services

Public Affairs

Contact the Webtools Team

217.333.0382

lance@illinois.edu

/var/folders/wp/1f6l7hw95y718z976kgnl5f9kr5rtc/T/com.microsoft.Outlook/WebArchiveCopyPasteTempFiles/signature_logo.png

Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act any written communication to or from university employees regarding university business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure.

Attachment

Re: Temporary Files

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Mon, Mar 29, 2021 at 11:10 AM Campbell, Lance <lance@illinois.edu> wrote:
> If you divide 451 by 21 you get 21.4 .  I would have expected to see an average size greater than 24 MB.  This
impliesto me that PostgreSQL is creating temp files that are smaller than 24 MB.

> What am I not understanding?

work_mem limits the in-memory space used by sort and hash operations.
It doesn't necessarily follow that the on-disk footprint is exactly
(or even approximately) the same as the in-memory footprint for any
given operation that barely can't fit in memory. The precise space
overheads will vary based on lots of factors, most of which are
implementation details.

--
Peter Geoghegan