Use boolean array for nulls parameters

From
japin
Date:
Hi,

When I review the [1], I find that the tuple's nulls array use char type.
However there are many places use boolean array to repsent the nulls array,
so I think we can replace the char type nulls array to boolean type.  This
change will break the SPI_xxx API, I'm not sure whether this chagnges cause
other problems or not.  Any thought?

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA+HiwqGkfJfYdeq5vHPh6eqPKjSbfpDDY+j-kXYFePQedtSLeg@mail.gmail.com

--
Regrads,
Japin Li.

Attachment

Re: Use boolean array for nulls parameters

From
Hamid Akhtar
Date:
I personally don't see any benefit in this change. The focus shouldn't be on fixing things that aren't broken. Perhaps, there is more value in using bitmap data type to keep track of NULL values, which is typical storage vs performance debate, and IMHO, it's better to err on using slightly more storage for much better performance. IIRC, the bitmap idea has previously discussed been rejected too.

When I review the [1], I find that the tuple's nulls array use char type.
However there are many places use boolean array to repsent the nulls array,
so I think we can replace the char type nulls array to boolean type.  This
change will break the SPI_xxx API, I'm not sure whether this chagnges cause
other problems or not.  Any thought?

[1] - https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA+HiwqGkfJfYdeq5vHPh6eqPKjSbfpDDY+j-kXYFePQedtSLeg@mail.gmail.com

--
Regrads,
Japin Li.
ChengDu WenWu Information Technology Co.,Ltd.

--
Highgo Software (Canada/China/Pakistan)
ADDR: 10318 WHALLEY BLVD, Surrey, BC

Re: Use boolean array for nulls parameters

Date:
japin <japinli@hotmail.com> writes:
> When I review the [1], I find that the tuple's nulls array use char type.
> However there are many places use boolean array to repsent the nulls array,
> so I think we can replace the char type nulls array to boolean type.  This
> change will break the SPI_xxx API, I'm not sure whether this chagnges cause
> other problems or not.  Any thought?

We have always considered that changing the APIs of published SPI
interfaces is a non-starter.  The entire reason those calls still
exist at all is for the benefit of third-party extensions.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 23:45, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> japin <japinli@hotmail.com> writes:
>> When I review the [1], I find that the tuple's nulls array use char type.
>> However there are many places use boolean array to repsent the nulls array,
>> so I think we can replace the char type nulls array to boolean type.  This
>> change will break the SPI_xxx API, I'm not sure whether this chagnges cause
>> other problems or not.  Any thought?
>
> We have always considered that changing the APIs of published SPI
> interfaces is a non-starter.  The entire reason those calls still
> exist at all is for the benefit of third-party extensions.

Thanks for your clarify.  I agree that we should keep the APIs stable, maybe we
can modify this in someday when the APIs must be changed.