Horizontal scrollbar in email archives

Date:
I see an odd horizontal scrollbar when viewing the email archives in
Firefox 84.0.2.  Specifically it happens when I am on a 'message id'
link:

    https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20210108155040.GC18394%40momjian.us

Screenshot attached, with orange scrollbar.  I think it is related to
the new 'thread' drop-down list.  If I choose "Whole thread", it
disappears, and so does the thread drop-down list.

Re: Horizontal scrollbar in email archives

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On 1/8/21 11:31 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I see an odd horizontal scrollbar when viewing the email archives in
> Firefox 84.0.2.  Specifically it happens when I am on a 'message id'
> link:
>
>     https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20210108155040.GC18394%40momjian.us
>
> Screenshot attached, with orange scrollbar.  I think it is related to
> the new 'thread' drop-down list.  If I choose "Whole thread", it
> disappears, and so does the thread drop-down list.

Yeah, that's a constraint based on how a "select" dropdown works and how
we list out the subthreads within threads.

If we don't indent on each subthread, we could correct that, but does
that diminish the overall user experience?

Jonathan

Attachment

Re: Horizontal scrollbar in email archives

Date:
On Fri, Jan  8, 2021 at 12:39:31PM -0500, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> On 1/8/21 11:31 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > I see an odd horizontal scrollbar when viewing the email archives in
> > Firefox 84.0.2.  Specifically it happens when I am on a 'message id'
> > link:
> >
> >     https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20210108155040.GC18394%40momjian.us
> >
> > Screenshot attached, with orange scrollbar.  I think it is related to
> > the new 'thread' drop-down list.  If I choose "Whole thread", it
> > disappears, and so does the thread drop-down list.
>
> Yeah, that's a constraint based on how a "select" dropdown works and how
> we list out the subthreads within threads.
>
> If we don't indent on each subthread, we could correct that, but does
> that diminish the overall user experience?

Oh, so it is a known issue.  Seems fine, though it is kind of odd that
the dropdown doesn't really need all that width.  So, I guess you are
saying the scroll is really based on how much indenting we do --- makes
sense.

Date:
On 1/8/21 12:50 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, Jan  8, 2021 at 12:39:31PM -0500, Jonathan Katz wrote:
>> On 1/8/21 11:31 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>> I see an odd horizontal scrollbar when viewing the email archives in
>>> Firefox 84.0.2.  Specifically it happens when I am on a 'message id'
>>> link:
>>>
>>>     https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20210108155040.GC18394%40momjian.us
>>>
>>> Screenshot attached, with orange scrollbar.  I think it is related to
>>> the new 'thread' drop-down list.  If I choose "Whole thread", it
>>> disappears, and so does the thread drop-down list.
>>
>> Yeah, that's a constraint based on how a "select" dropdown works and how
>> we list out the subthreads within threads.
>>
>> If we don't indent on each subthread, we could correct that, but does
>> that diminish the overall user experience?
>
> Oh, so it is a known issue.  Seems fine, though it is kind of odd that
> the dropdown doesn't really need all that width.  So, I guess you are
> saying the scroll is really based on how much indenting we do --- makes
> sense.

Hm, so I modify my previous statement slightly now that I actually
clicked the URL.

The issue in this case is the long CC row and the fact that the contents
are in a table. Loosely speaking, the max width of a row in a table is
going to set the width of every other row. I may be able to do something
here, actually.

The comment about the "select" is still true, but it doesn't affect this
case (and prevents me from what I think would be a witty reply to "keep
email chains shorter" ;)

I'll experiment a bit and see if I can make this a bit better.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment

Date:
On 1/8/21 1:41 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On 1/8/21 12:50 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>>> Yeah, that's a constraint based on how a "select" dropdown works and how
>>> we list out the subthreads within threads.
>>>
>>> If we don't indent on each subthread, we could correct that, but does
>>> that diminish the overall user experience?
>>
>> Oh, so it is a known issue.  Seems fine, though it is kind of odd that
>> the dropdown doesn't really need all that width.  So, I guess you are
>> saying the scroll is really based on how much indenting we do --- makes
>> sense.
>
> Hm, so I modify my previous statement slightly now that I actually
> clicked the URL.
>
> The issue in this case is the long CC row and the fact that the contents
> are in a table. Loosely speaking, the max width of a row in a table is
> going to set the width of every other row. I may be able to do something
> here, actually.
>
> The comment about the "select" is still true, but it doesn't affect this
> case (and prevents me from what I think would be a witty reply to "keep
> email chains shorter" ;)
>
> I'll experiment a bit and see if I can make this a bit better.

...updating my answer yet again, it does appear that there is a CSS
class on the select that is pushing it to be too large in this case, but
the good news is that I don't think this will be difficult to modify.

I have to see if I still have a dev environment setup for the
pgarchives, but outside of that I should be able to push something up
shortly.

Jonathan

Attachment

Date:
On 1/8/21 1:45 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On 1/8/21 1:41 PM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

>>> Oh, so it is a known issue.  Seems fine, though it is kind of odd that
>>> the dropdown doesn't really need all that width.  So, I guess you are
>>> saying the scroll is really based on how much indenting we do --- makes
>>> sense.
>>
>> Hm, so I modify my previous statement slightly now that I actually
>> clicked the URL.
>>
>> The issue in this case is the long CC row and the fact that the contents
>> are in a table. Loosely speaking, the max width of a row in a table is
>> going to set the width of every other row. I may be able to do something
>> here, actually.
>>
>> The comment about the "select" is still true, but it doesn't affect this
>> case (and prevents me from what I think would be a witty reply to "keep
>> email chains shorter" ;)
>>
>> I'll experiment a bit and see if I can make this a bit better.
>
> ...updating my answer yet again, it does appear that there is a CSS
> class on the select that is pushing it to be too large in this case, but
> the good news is that I don't think this will be difficult to modify.
>
> I have to see if I still have a dev environment setup for the
> pgarchives, but outside of that I should be able to push something up
> shortly.

OK this is fixed. You can see it reflected in the original URL[1]. If it
is not showing up in other pages, it is due to those pages being in the
cache (and I don't think it's worth expiring all of the mailing list
pages that are in the cache for this one).

Now, sidescrolling in the message header would/should only occur based
on my original point, i.e. too many people replying to each other on a
particular thread (i.e. a really, really, really long email chain ;)

Thanks,

Jonathan

[1]

Date:
On Fri, Jan  8, 2021 at 02:08:32PM -0500, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> > I have to see if I still have a dev environment setup for the
> > pgarchives, but outside of that I should be able to push something up
> > shortly.
>
> OK this is fixed. You can see it reflected in the original URL[1]. If it
> is not showing up in other pages, it is due to those pages being in the
> cache (and I don't think it's worth expiring all of the mailing list
> pages that are in the cache for this one).
>
> Now, sidescrolling in the message header would/should only occur based
> on my original point, i.e. too many people replying to each other on a
> particular thread (i.e. a really, really, really long email chain ;)

Yep, fixed;  screenshot attached.  The email thread drop-down no longer
extends the full width of the window, but is limited to its necessary
length.  The original scrollbar didn't look terrible, but it also looked
out of place, so fixing it is nice.