LDAP(s) doc misleading

From
Paul Förster
Date:
Hi,

I found what I believe to be misleading in the LDAP documentation:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/auth-ldap.html

It says:
"ldapscheme
Set to ldaps to use LDAPS."...

IMHO, it should say:
"ldapscheme
Set to ldapscheme to use LDAPS (ldapscheme=ldaps)."...

I found this because I'm in the process of making our Linux LDAP servers obsolete by reconfiguring PostgreSQL to use
ourcompany Windows Active Directory LDAPS service.

Cheers,
Paul

Re: LDAP(s) doc misleading

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

* Paul Förster (paul.foerster@gmail.com) wrote:
> I found this because I'm in the process of making our Linux LDAP servers obsolete by reconfiguring PostgreSQL to use
ourcompany Windows Active Directory LDAPS service.

When in an Active Directory environment, it's far more secure to use
Kerberos/GSSAPI and not LDAP (or LDAPS).  Using the ldap authentication
method with PostgreSQL will result in the credentials of users being
sent to the database server, such that if the database server is
compromised so will all of those user accounts.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment

Re: LDAP(s) doc misleading

From
Paul Förster
Date:
Hi Stephen,

> On 06. Jan, 2021, at 18:14, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>
> When in an Active Directory environment, it's far more secure to use
> Kerberos/GSSAPI and not LDAP (or LDAPS).  Using the ldap authentication
> method with PostgreSQL will result in the credentials of users being
> sent to the database server, such that if the database server is
> compromised so will all of those user accounts.

I understand. But users can't login on the database server, just on the database. Database servers and client machines
arelocated in different network zones with firewalls between them.

Also, my point was not about using LDAP(S) versus Kerberos or GSSAPI. My point was, that I find the description of the
ldapschemeentry misleading.

Cheers,
Paul

Re: LDAP(s) doc misleading

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 8:36 AM Paul Förster <paul.foerster@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found what I believe to be misleading in the LDAP documentation:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/auth-ldap.html
>
> It says:
> "ldapscheme
> Set to ldaps to use LDAPS."...
>
> IMHO, it should say:
> "ldapscheme
> Set to ldapscheme to use LDAPS (ldapscheme=ldaps)."...

No, I think this is correct.

"Set to ldaps to use ldaps" means you set it to the value "ldaps" in
order to use ldaps.

I think you missed the "to" in the sentence -- without that one, your
reading of it would make more sense. See also the following parameter,
ldaptls, which uses similar language.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/

Re: LDAP(s) doc misleading

From
Paul Förster
Date:
Hi Magnus,

> On 07. Jan, 2021, at 11:04, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>
> No, I think this is correct.
>
> "Set to ldaps to use ldaps" means you set it to the value "ldaps" in
> order to use ldaps.
>
> I think you missed the "to" in the sentence -- without that one, your
> reading of it would make more sense. See also the following parameter,
> ldaptls, which uses similar language.

argh! Sorry, my bad. Yes, I missed the "to". :-( Thanks.

Cheers,
Paul