Cleanup some -I$(libpq_srcdir) in makefiles

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
Hi all,

While looking at a patch from David, I have noticed $subject:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAApHDvpgB+vxk=W6OPKidwzZEo6kniFQidNoMzR8P4ROtyky2w@mail.gmail.com

adminpack and old_snapshot have no need for those references as they
don't use libpq.  Any objections to a small-ish cleanup that removes
those references, as per the attached?

Michael

Attachment

Re: Cleanup some -I$(libpq_srcdir) in makefiles

From
David Rowley
Date:
On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 18:07, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
> While looking at a patch from David, I have noticed $subject:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAApHDvpgB+vxk=W6OPKidwzZEo6kniFQidNoMzR8P4ROtyky2w@mail.gmail.com
>
> adminpack and old_snapshot have no need for those references as they
> don't use libpq.  Any objections to a small-ish cleanup that removes
> those references, as per the attached?

I think these can be safely removed.

In case they have an opinion on this, I've included Tom and Robert as
the authors of 629b3af2 and aecf5ee2.

David

Re: Cleanup some -I$(libpq_srcdir) in makefiles

Date:
David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 18:07, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
>> adminpack and old_snapshot have no need for those references as they
>> don't use libpq.  Any objections to a small-ish cleanup that removes
>> those references, as per the attached?

> I think these can be safely removed.

> In case they have an opinion on this, I've included Tom and Robert as
> the authors of 629b3af2 and aecf5ee2.

629b3af2 just moved around the existing -I switch in adminpack/Makefile.
AFAICS that switch goes back to adminpack's introduction, fe59e5666.
It was probably just copied-and-pasted from some other contrib Makefile;
since this Makefile has never actually linked libpq, it's hard to see why
it'd be useful here.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Tue, Dec 29, 2020 at 05:06:20PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> 629b3af2 just moved around the existing -I switch in adminpack/Makefile.
> AFAICS that switch goes back to adminpack's introduction, fe59e5666.
> It was probably just copied-and-pasted from some other contrib Makefile;
> since this Makefile has never actually linked libpq, it's hard to see why
> it'd be useful here.

Thanks David and Tom.  I got around to apply this cleanup.
--
Michael

Attachment