LDAP and roles

From
Ron
Date:
Does LDAP obviate the need for the PASSWORD clause of CREATE ROLE? It sounds
obvious, but I wanted to verify before deciding whether or not to try LDAP,
and did not see any reference in
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-createrole.html.

Thanks

Re: LDAP and roles

Date:
Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> writes:
> Does LDAP obviate the need for the PASSWORD clause of CREATE ROLE?

Well, it won't use that password, if that's what you mean.

            regards, tom lane

Re: LDAP and roles

From
Ron
Date:
On 12/8/20 3:15 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> writes:
>> Does LDAP obviate the need for the PASSWORD clause of CREATE ROLE?
> Well, it won't use that password, if that's what you mean.

That's what I meant.

Re: LDAP and roles

From
Paul Förster
Date:
Hi Ron,

> On 08. Dec, 2020, at 21:12, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Does LDAP obviate the need for the PASSWORD clause of CREATE ROLE?

yes, it does. We use it all the time.

create role <name> login;
grant <approle> to name;

It works with us this way. The user/role is otherwise completely managed in LDAP, including password policies, etc.

Cheers,
Paul

Re: LDAP and roles

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

* Ron (ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com) wrote:
> Does LDAP obviate the need for the PASSWORD clause of CREATE ROLE? It sounds
> obvious, but I wanted to verify before deciding whether or not to try LDAP,
> and did not see any reference in
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/sql-createrole.html.

Using GSSAPI also results in the password not being needed to be set for
the role, and is actually secure, unlike LDAP-based auth where the
user's password is happily sent in the clear to the PG server.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment