Github Actions (CI)

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
Hi hackers,

I'm looking for more horsepower for testing commitfest entries
automatically, and today I tried out $SUBJECT.  The attached is a
rudimentary first attempt, for show-and-tell.  If you have a Github
account, you just have to push it to a branch there and look at the
Actions tab on the web page for the results.  Does anyone else have
.github files and want to share, to see if we can combine efforts
here?

The reason for creating three separate "workflows" for Linux, Windows
and macOS rather than three separate "jobs" inside one workflow is so
that cfbot.cputube.org could potentially get separate pass/fail
results for each OS out of the API rather than one combined result.  I
rather like that feature of cfbot's results.  (I could be wrong about
needing to do that, this is the first time I've ever looked at this
stuff.)

The Windows test actually fails right now, exactly as reported by
Ranier[1].  It is a release build on a recent MSVC, so I guess that is
expected and off-topic for this thread.  But generally,
.github/workflows/ci-windows.yml is the weakest part of this.  It'd be
great to get a debug/assertion build, show backtraces when it crashes,
run more of the tests, etc etc, but I don't know nearly enough about
Windows to do that myself.  Another thing is that it uses Choco for
flex and bison; it'd be better to find those on the image, if
possible.  Also, for all 3 OSes, it's not currently attempting to
cache build results or anything like that.

I'm a bit sad that GH doesn't have FreeBSD build runners.  Those are
now popping up on other CIs, but I'm not sure if their free/open
source tiers have enough resources for cfbot.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAEudQArhn8bH836OB%2B3SboiaeEcgOtrJS58Bki4%3D5yeVqToxgw%40mail.gmail.com

Attachment

Re: Github Actions (CI)

From
Josef Šimánek
Date:
čt 3. 12. 2020 v 7:34 odesílatel Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> napsal:

> Hi hackers,
>
> I'm looking for more horsepower for testing commitfest entries
> automatically, and today I tried out $SUBJECT.  The attached is a
> rudimentary first attempt, for show-and-tell.  If you have a Github
> account, you just have to push it to a branch there and look at the
> Actions tab on the web page for the results.  Does anyone else have
> .github files and want to share, to see if we can combine efforts
> here?
>
> The reason for creating three separate "workflows" for Linux, Windows
> and macOS rather than three separate "jobs" inside one workflow is so
> that cfbot.cputube.org could potentially get separate pass/fail
> results for each OS out of the API rather than one combined result.  I
> rather like that feature of cfbot's results.  (I could be wrong about
> needing to do that, this is the first time I've ever looked at this
> stuff.)
>
> The Windows test actually fails right now, exactly as reported by
> Ranier[1].  It is a release build on a recent MSVC, so I guess that is
> expected and off-topic for this thread.  But generally,
> .github/workflows/ci-windows.yml is the weakest part of this.  It'd be
> great to get a debug/assertion build, show backtraces when it crashes,
> run more of the tests, etc etc, but I don't know nearly enough about
> Windows to do that myself.  Another thing is that it uses Choco for
> flex and bison; it'd be better to find those on the image, if
> possible.  Also, for all 3 OSes, it's not currently attempting to
> cache build results or anything like that.

Any chance to also share links to failing/passing testing builds?

> I'm a bit sad that GH doesn't have FreeBSD build runners.  Those are
> now popping up on other CIs, but I'm not sure if their free/open
> source tiers have enough resources for cfbot.
>
> [1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAEudQArhn8bH836OB%2B3SboiaeEcgOtrJS58Bki4%3D5yeVqToxgw%40mail.gmail.com

Re: Github Actions (CI)

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
On 12/3/20 1:33 AM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> Hi hackers,
>
> I'm looking for more horsepower for testing commitfest entries
> automatically, and today I tried out $SUBJECT.  The attached is a
> rudimentary first attempt, for show-and-tell.  If you have a Github
> account, you just have to push it to a branch there and look at the
> Actions tab on the web page for the results.

Awesome. That's a pretty big bang for the buck.

cheers

andrew

Re: Github Actions (CI)

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 2:55 AM Josef Šimánek <josef.simanek@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any chance to also share links to failing/passing testing builds?

https://github.com/macdice/postgres/runs/1490727809
https://github.com/macdice/postgres/runs/1490727838

However, looking these in a clean/cookieless browser, I see that it
won't show you anything useful unless you're currently logged in to
Github, so that's a major point against using it for cfbot (it's
certainly not my intention to make cfbot only useful to people who
have Github accounts).