Commitfest 2020-11 is closed

From
Anastasia Lubennikova
Date:
Hi, hackers!

Commitfest 2020-11 is officially closed now.
Many thanks to everyone who participated by posting patches, reviewing
them, committing and sharing ideas in discussions!

Today, me and Georgios will move the remaining items to the next CF or
return them with feedback. We're planning to leave Ready For Committer
till the end of the week, to make them more visible and let them get the
attention they deserve. And finally in the weekend I'll gather and share
some statistics.

--
Anastasia Lubennikova
The Russian Postgres Company

Re: Commitfest 2020-11 is closed

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Tue, Dec 01, 2020 at 01:05:54PM +0300, Anastasia Lubennikova wrote:
> Commitfest 2020-11 is officially closed now.
> Many thanks to everyone who participated by posting patches, reviewing them,
> committing and sharing ideas in discussions!

Thanks Anastasia and Georgios for working on that!
--
Michael

Attachment

Re: Commitfest 2020-11 is closed

Date:
Anastasia Lubennikova <a.lubennikova@postgrespro.ru> writes:
> Commitfest 2020-11 is officially closed now.
> Many thanks to everyone who participated by posting patches, reviewing
> them, committing and sharing ideas in discussions!

Thanks for all the hard work!

> Today, me and Georgios will move the remaining items to the next CF or
> return them with feedback. We're planning to leave Ready For Committer
> till the end of the week, to make them more visible and let them get the
> attention they deserve.

This is actually a bit problematic, because now the cfbot is ignoring
those patches (or if it's not, I don't know where it's displaying the
results).  Please go ahead and move the remaining open patches, or
else re-open the CF if that's possible.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Commitfest 2020-11 is closed

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 10:00 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> This is actually a bit problematic, because now the cfbot is ignoring
> those patches (or if it's not, I don't know where it's displaying the
> results).  Please go ahead and move the remaining open patches, or
> else re-open the CF if that's possible.

As of quite recently, Travis CI doesn't seem to like cfbot's rate of
build jobs.  Recently it's been taking a very long time to post
results for new patches and taking so long to get around to retesting
patches for bitrot that the my "delete old results after a week" logic
started wiping out some results while they are still the most recent,
leading to the blank spaces where the results are supposed to be.
D'oh. I'm looking into a couple of options.

Re: Commitfest 2020-11 is closed

From
David Steele
Date:
On 12/2/20 4:15 PM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 10:00 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> This is actually a bit problematic, because now the cfbot is ignoring
>> those patches (or if it's not, I don't know where it's displaying the
>> results).  Please go ahead and move the remaining open patches, or
>> else re-open the CF if that's possible.
>
> As of quite recently, Travis CI doesn't seem to like cfbot's rate of
> build jobs.  Recently it's been taking a very long time to post
> results for new patches and taking so long to get around to retesting
> patches for bitrot that the my "delete old results after a week" logic
> started wiping out some results while they are still the most recent,
> leading to the blank spaces where the results are supposed to be.
> D'oh. I'm looking into a couple of options.

pgBackRest test runs have gone from ~17 minutes to 3-6 hours over the
last two months.

Also keep in mind that travis-ci.org will be shut down at the end of the
month. Some users who have migrated to travis-ci.com have complained
that it is not any faster, but I have not tried myself (yet).

Depending on how you have Github organized migrating to travis-ci.com
may be bit tricky because it requires full access to all private
repositories in your account and orgs administrated by your account.

-David
david@pgmasters.net

Date:
On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 10:51 AM David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
> On 12/2/20 4:15 PM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 10:00 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> This is actually a bit problematic, because now the cfbot is ignoring
> >> those patches (or if it's not, I don't know where it's displaying the
> >> results).  Please go ahead and move the remaining open patches, or
> >> else re-open the CF if that's possible.
> >
> > As of quite recently, Travis CI doesn't seem to like cfbot's rate of
> > build jobs.  Recently it's been taking a very long time to post
> > results for new patches and taking so long to get around to retesting
> > patches for bitrot that the my "delete old results after a week" logic
> > started wiping out some results while they are still the most recent,
> > leading to the blank spaces where the results are supposed to be.
> > D'oh. I'm looking into a couple of options.
>
> pgBackRest test runs have gone from ~17 minutes to 3-6 hours over the
> last two months.

Ouch.

> Also keep in mind that travis-ci.org will be shut down at the end of the
> month. Some users who have migrated to travis-ci.com have complained
> that it is not any faster, but I have not tried myself (yet).

Oh.

> Depending on how you have Github organized migrating to travis-ci.com
> may be bit tricky because it requires full access to all private
> repositories in your account and orgs administrated by your account.

I'm experimenting with Github's built in CI.  All other ideas welcome.

Date:
On 12/2/20 5:13 PM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 10:51 AM David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> As of quite recently, Travis CI doesn't seem to like cfbot's rate of
>>> build jobs.  Recently it's been taking a very long time to post
>>> results for new patches and taking so long to get around to retesting
>>> patches for bitrot that the my "delete old results after a week" logic
>>> started wiping out some results while they are still the most recent,
>>> leading to the blank spaces where the results are supposed to be.
>>> D'oh. I'm looking into a couple of options.
>>
>> pgBackRest test runs have gone from ~17 minutes to 3-6 hours over the
>> last two months.
>
> Ouch.

Yeah.

>> Also keep in mind that travis-ci.org will be shut down at the end of the
>> month. Some users who have migrated to travis-ci.com have complained
>> that it is not any faster, but I have not tried myself (yet).
>
> Oh.

Yeah.

>> Depending on how you have Github organized migrating to travis-ci.com
>> may be bit tricky because it requires full access to all private
>> repositories in your account and orgs administrated by your account.
>
> I'm experimenting with Github's built in CI.  All other ideas welcome.

We're leaning towards Github actions ourselves. The only thing that
makes us want to stay with Travis (at least for some tests) is the
support for the ppc64le, arm64, and s390x architectures. s390x in
particular since it is the only big-endian architecture we have access to.

-David
david@pgmasters.net

Re: Commitfest 2020-11 is closed

From
Andrew Dunstan
Date:
On 12/2/20 5:13 PM, Thomas Munro wrote:

> I'm experimenting with Github's built in CI.  All other ideas welcome.

I'd look very closely at gitlab.

cheers

andrew

Re: Commitfest 2020-11 is closed

From
Josef Šimánek
Date:
st 2. 12. 2020 v 23:36 odesílatel Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> napsal:

> On 12/2/20 5:13 PM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> >
> > I'm experimenting with Github's built in CI.  All other ideas welcome.
>

> I'd look very closely at gitlab.

I was about to respond before with the same idea. Feel free to ping
regarding another CI. Also there is possibility to move to GitHub
Actions (free open source CI). I got some experience with that as
well.

> cheers
>

> andrew

Re: Commitfest 2020-11 is closed

From
Chapman Flack
Date:
On 12/02/20 16:51, David Steele wrote:
> Depending on how you have Github organized migrating to travis-ci.com may be
> bit tricky because it requires full access to all private repositories in
> your account and orgs administrated by your account.

PL/Java just began using travis-ci.com this summer at the conclusion of
our GSoC project, and Thomas had been leery of the full-access-to-everything
requirement, but that turned out to have been an old way it once worked.
The more current way involves installation as a GitHub app into a particular
repository, and it did not come with excessive access requirements.

That being said, we got maybe three months of use out of it all told.
On 2 November, they announced a "new pricing model"[1],[2], and since
24 November it has no longer run  PL/Java tests, logging a "does not have
enough credits" message[3] instead. So I rather hastily put a GitHub
Actions workflow together to plug the hole.

Apparently there is a way for OSS projects to ask nicely for an allocation
of some credits that might be available.

Regards,
-Chap

[1]
https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2020/travis-cis-new-pricing-plan-threw-wrench-my-open-source-works
[2] https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-travis-ci-new-billing
[3] https://travis-ci.com/github/tada/pljava/requests

Date:
On Thu, Dec 3, 2020 at 12:02 PM Josef Šimánek <josef.simanek@gmail.com> wrote:
> st 2. 12. 2020 v 23:36 odesílatel Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> napsal:
> > On 12/2/20 5:13 PM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > > I'm experimenting with Github's built in CI.  All other ideas welcome.
> >
> > I'd look very closely at gitlab.
>
> I was about to respond before with the same idea. Feel free to ping
> regarding another CI. Also there is possibility to move to GitHub
> Actions (free open source CI). I got some experience with that as
> well.

I spent today getting something working on Github just to try it out,
and started a new thread[1] about that.  I've not tried Gitlab and
have no opinion about that; if someone has a working patch similar to
that, I'd definitely be interested to take a look.  I've looked at
some others.  For what cfbot is doing (namely: concentrating the work
of hundreds into one "account" via hundreds of branches), the spin-up
times and concurrency limits are a bit of a problem on many of them.
FWIW I think they're all wonderful for offering this service to open
source projects and I'm grateful that they do it!

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CA%2BhUKG%2By_SHVQcU3CPokmJxuHp1niebCjq4XzZizf8SR9ZdQRQ%40mail.gmail.com

Date:
On 02.12.2020 23:59, Tom Lane wrote:
> Anastasia Lubennikova <a.lubennikova@postgrespro.ru> writes:
>> Commitfest 2020-11 is officially closed now.
>> Many thanks to everyone who participated by posting patches, reviewing
>> them, committing and sharing ideas in discussions!
> Thanks for all the hard work!
>
>> Today, me and Georgios will move the remaining items to the next CF or
>> return them with feedback. We're planning to leave Ready For Committer
>> till the end of the week, to make them more visible and let them get the
>> attention they deserve.
> This is actually a bit problematic, because now the cfbot is ignoring
> those patches (or if it's not, I don't know where it's displaying the
> results).  Please go ahead and move the remaining open patches, or
> else re-open the CF if that's possible.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Thank you for the reminder.

Now all patches are moved to the next CF.

--
Anastasia Lubennikova
The Russian Postgres Company

Re: Commitfest 2020-11 is closed

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 2020-12-02 23:13, Thomas Munro wrote:
> I'm experimenting with Github's built in CI.  All other ideas welcome.

You can run Linux builds on AppVeyor, too.

Date:
On 12/3/20 4:54 AM, Anastasia Lubennikova wrote:
> On 02.12.2020 23:59, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Anastasia Lubennikova <a.lubennikova@postgrespro.ru> writes:
>>> Commitfest 2020-11 is officially closed now.
>>> Many thanks to everyone who participated by posting patches, reviewing
>>> them, committing and sharing ideas in discussions!
>> Thanks for all the hard work!
>>
>>> Today, me and Georgios will move the remaining items to the next CF or
>>> return them with feedback. We're planning to leave Ready For Committer
>>> till the end of the week, to make them more visible and let them get
>>> the
>>> attention they deserve.
>> This is actually a bit problematic, because now the cfbot is ignoring
>> those patches (or if it's not, I don't know where it's displaying the
>> results).  Please go ahead and move the remaining open patches, or
>> else re-open the CF if that's possible.
>>
>>             regards, tom lane
>
> Oh, I wasn't aware of that. Thank you for the reminder.
>
> Now all patches are moved to the next CF.

Maybe this needs to be added to the instructions for CF managers so the
workflow is clear.

cheers

andrew

Re: Commitfest 2020-11 is closed

From
Nikolay Samokhvalov
Date:
On Wed, Dec 2, 2020 at 2:36 PM Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

On 12/2/20 5:13 PM, Thomas Munro wrote:

> I'm experimenting with Github's built in CI.  All other ideas welcome.

I'd look very closely at gitlab.

+1.

Why:
- having a great experience for more than 2 years
- if needed, there is an open-source version of it
- it's possible to set up your own CI [custom] runners even when you're working with their SaaS
- finally, it's on Postgres itself

Re: Commitfest 2020-11 is closed

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 1:29 AM Peter Eisentraut
> On 2020-12-02 23:13, Thomas Munro wrote:
> > I'm experimenting with Github's built in CI.  All other ideas welcome.
>
> You can run Linux builds on AppVeyor, too.

Yeah.  This would be the easiest change to make, because I already
have configuration files, cfbot already knows how to talk to Appveyor
to collect results, and the build results are public URLs.  So I'm
leaning towards this option in the short term, so that cfbot keeps
working after December 31.  We can always review the options later.
Appveyor's free-for-open-source plan has no cap on minutes, but limits
concurrent jobs to 1.

Gitlab's free-for-open-source plan is based on metered CI minutes, but
cfbot is a bit too greedy for the advertised limits.  An annual
allotment of 50,000 minutes would run out some time in February
assuming we rebase each of ~250 branches every few days.

GitHub Actions has very generous resource limits, nice UX and API, etc
etc, so it's tempting, but its build log URLs can only be accessed by
people with accounts.  That limits their usefulness when discussing
test failures on our public mailing list.  I thought about teaching
cfbot to pull down the build logs and host them on its own web server,
but that feels like going against the grain.