Re: Change JOIN tutorial to focus more on explicit joins

From
Anastasia Lubennikova
Date:
Status update for a commitfest entry.

The commitfest is nearing the end and this thread was inactive for a while. As far as I see something got committed and
nowthe discussion is stuck in arguing about parenthesis.

FWIW, I think it is a matter of personal taste. Maybe we can compromise on simply leaving this part unchanged.

If you are planning to continue working on it, please move it to the next CF.

Re: Change JOIN tutorial to focus more on explicit joins

From
Jürgen Purtz
Date:
On 30.11.20 20:45, Anastasia Lubennikova wrote:
> As far as I see something got committed and now the discussion is stuck in arguing about parenthesis.
> FWIW, I think it is a matter of personal taste. Maybe we can compromise on simply leaving this part unchanged.

With or without parenthesis is a little more than a personal taste, but
it's a very tiny detail. I'm happy with either of the two variants.

--

J. Purtz

Re: Change JOIN tutorial to focus more on explicit joins

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 1:15 PM Jürgen Purtz <juergen@purtz.de> wrote:
On 30.11.20 20:45, Anastasia Lubennikova wrote:
> As far as I see something got committed and now the discussion is stuck in arguing about parenthesis.
> FWIW, I think it is a matter of personal taste. Maybe we can compromise on simply leaving this part unchanged.

With or without parenthesis is a little more than a personal taste, but
it's a very tiny detail. I'm happy with either of the two variants.

Sorry, I managed to overlook the most recent patch.

I admitted my use of parentheses was incorrect and I don't see anyone else defending them.  Please remove them.

Minor typos:

"the database compare" -> needs an "s" (compares)

"In this case, the definition how to compare their rows." -> remove, redundant with the first sentence

"The results from the older implicit syntax, and the newer explicit JOIN/ON syntax, are identical" -> move the commas around to what is shown here

David J.

Date:
Sorry, I managed to overlook the most recent patch.

I admitted my use of parentheses was incorrect and I don't see anyone else defending them.  Please remove them.

Minor typos:

"the database compare" -> needs an "s" (compares)

"In this case, the definition how to compare their rows." -> remove, redundant with the first sentence

"The results from the older implicit syntax, and the newer explicit JOIN/ON syntax, are identical" -> move the commas around to what is shown here

David J.

OK. Patch attached.

--

J. Purtz

Attachment

Re: Change JOIN tutorial to focus more on explicit joins

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 15.03.21 09:06, Jürgen Purtz wrote: