[Doc Patch] Clarify that CREATEROLE roles can GRANT default roles

From
Michael Banck
Date:
Hi,

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/default-roles.html mentions the
"Administrator" several times, but does not specify it further. I
understand that it is mentioned elsewhere [1], but I think it would be
beneficial to remind the reader on that page at least once that
"Administrators" includes "roles with the CREATEROLE privilege" in the
context of GRANTing and REVOKEing default privileges, e.g. with the
attached patch.

Michael

[1] e.g. at https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-createrole.html
it is mentioned that CREATEROLE privs can be regarded as "almost-superuser-roles"

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz

Attachment

Re: [Doc Patch] Clarify that CREATEROLE roles can GRANT default roles

From
Masahiko Sawada
Date:
Hi Michael,

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 7:50 AM Michael Banck <michael.banck@credativ.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/default-roles.html mentions the
> "Administrator" several times, but does not specify it further. I
> understand that it is mentioned elsewhere [1], but I think it would be
> beneficial to remind the reader on that page at least once that
> "Administrators" includes "roles with the CREATEROLE privilege" in the
> context of GRANTing and REVOKEing default privileges, e.g. with the
> attached patch.

You sent in your patch, default-roles-createrole.patch to
pgsql-hackers on Nov 28, but you did not post it to the next
CommitFest[1].  If this was intentional, then you need to take no
action.  However, if you want your patch to be reviewed as part of the
upcoming CommitFest, then you need to add it yourself before
2021-01-01 AoE[2]. Thanks for your contributions.

Regards,

[1] https://commitfest.postgresql.org/31/
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anywhere_on_Earth

--
Masahiko Sawada
EnterpriseDB:  https://www.enterprisedb.com/

Re: [Doc Patch] Clarify that CREATEROLE roles can GRANT default roles

From
Michael Banck
Date:
Hi,

Am Montag, den 28.12.2020, 20:41 +0900 schrieb Masahiko Sawada:
> On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 7:50 AM Michael Banck <michael.banck@credativ.de> wrote:
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/default-roles.html mentions the
> > "Administrator" several times, but does not specify it further. I
> > understand that it is mentioned elsewhere [1], but I think it would be
> > beneficial to remind the reader on that page at least once that
> > "Administrators" includes "roles with the CREATEROLE privilege" in the
> > context of GRANTing and REVOKEing default privileges, e.g. with the
> > attached patch.
> >

> You sent in your patch, default-roles-createrole.patch to
> pgsql-hackers on Nov 28, but you did not post it to the next
> CommitFest[1].  If this was intentional, then you need to take no
> action.  However, if you want your patch to be reviewed as part of the
> upcoming CommitFest, then you need to add it yourself before
> 2021-01-01 AoE[2]. Thanks for your contributions.

Thanks for reminding me, I've done so now[1].

Michael