Restoring Database on Version 11 does not restore database comment

From
George Weaver
Date:
Good afternoon,

If I backup a PostgreSQL 10.14 database using pg_dump from Version
11.10, and restore to Version 11, the comment for the database is lost.

I haven't encountered this before when upgrading between major versions.

Test case:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\10\bin>psql
psql (10.14)

postgres=# CREATE DATABASE test_comment TEMPLATE = template0;
CREATE DATABASE
postgres=# COMMENT ON DATABASE test_comment IS 'Test Comment Database';
COMMENT
postgres=# SELECT pg_catalog.shobj_description(d.oid, 'pg_database') as
"Version"
postgres-# FROM pg_catalog.pg_database d
postgres-#   where d.datname = 'test_comment';
         Version
-----------------------
  Test Comment Database
(1 row)

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\bin>pg_dump -h localhost -p 5433 -U
postgres -f "G:\test_comment.bak" -Fc -O test_comment

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\bin>psql -p 5435
psql (11.10)

postgres=# CREATE DATABASE test_comment TEMPLATE = template0;
CREATE DATABASE
postgres=# \q

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\bin>pg_Restore -p 5435  -U postgres -d
test_comment "G:\test_comment.bak"

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\bin>psql -p 5435
psql (11.10)

postgres=# SELECT pg_catalog.shobj_description(d.oid, 'pg_database') as
"Version"
postgres-# FROM pg_catalog.pg_database d
postgres-#   where d.datname = 'test_comment';
  Version
---------

(1 row)

What am I missing?

Thanks,
George

Re: Restoring Database on Version 11 does not restore database comment

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
"pg_dump and pg_restore, without --create, no longer dump/restore database-level comments and security labels; those are now treated as properties of the database."

David J.

Re: Restoring Database on Version 11 does not restore database comment

Date:
On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 04:01:26PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 3:58 PM George Weaver <gweaver@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>     What am I missing?
>

> Release notes.
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/release-11.html
>
> "pg_dump and pg_restore, without --create, no longer dump/restore
> database-level comments and security labels; those are now treated as
> properties of the database."

Yeah, I realize this new behavior is kind of odd, but logically, it
makes sense.

Re: Restoring Database on Version 11 does not restore database comment

From
George Weaver

Thanks David!

Missed that...