BUG #16708: Please add some more restrictions to the default systemd unit files

From
PG Bug reporting form
Date:

Bug reference:      16708
Logged by:          Pat Riehecky
Email address:      jcpunk@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 13.0
Operating system:   Linux/systemd

Can the following be added to the systemd units:

```
[Unit]
After=local-fs.target nss-user-lookup.target
```

This cleans up some of my issues starting the service after a boot where my
data is on a slow to mount filesystem.

On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 06:47:49PM +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> Bug reference:      16708
> Logged by:          Pat Riehecky
> Email address:      jcpunk@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 13.0
> Operating system:   Linux/systemd
>
> Can the following be added to the systemd units:
>
> ```
> [Unit]
> After=local-fs.target nss-user-lookup.target
> ```
>
> This cleans up some of my issues starting the service after a boot where my
> data is on a slow to mount filesystem.

The community does not produce any installers that use systemd.  You
will need to report this to the place you got the packages.

Greetings,

* PG Bug reporting form (noreply@postgresql.org) wrote:

> Bug reference:      16708
> Logged by:          Pat Riehecky
> Email address:      jcpunk@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 13.0
> Operating system:   Linux/systemd
>
> Can the following be added to the systemd units:
>
> ```
> [Unit]
> After=local-fs.target nss-user-lookup.target
> ```
>
> This cleans up some of my issues starting the service after a boot where my
> data is on a slow to mount filesystem.

This is probably more appropriate to discuss with the packagers, and to
that point it'd be useful to know which OS (more specifically) you're
on, as we have different packagers for RPMs vs. DEBs and different lists
for discussing those topics.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment
Greetings,

> The community does not produce any installers that use systemd.  You
> will need to report this to the place you got the packages.

This is certainly not accurate, at least on Debian-based systems...

➜  ~ dpkg -L postgresql-common | grep systemd
/lib/systemd
/lib/systemd/system
/lib/systemd/system/postgresql.service
/lib/systemd/system/postgresql@.service
/lib/systemd/system-generators
/lib/systemd/system-generators/postgresql-generator
/usr/share/doc/postgresql-common/README.systemd
➜  ~ apt-cache policy postgresql-common
postgresql-common:
  Installed: 220.pgdg20.04+1
  Candidate: 220.pgdg20.04+1
  Version table:
 *** 220.pgdg20.04+1 500
        500 https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt focal-pgdg/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment
On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 04:15:37PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> * Bruce Momjian (bruce@momjian.us) wrote:
> > The community does not produce any installers that use systemd.  You
> > will need to report this to the place you got the packages.
>
> This is certainly not accurate, at least on Debian-based systems...
>
> ➜  ~ dpkg -L postgresql-common | grep systemd
> /lib/systemd
> /lib/systemd/system
> /lib/systemd/system/postgresql.service
> /lib/systemd/system/postgresql@.service
> /lib/systemd/system-generators
> /lib/systemd/system-generators/postgresql-generator
> /usr/share/doc/postgresql-common/README.systemd
> ➜  ~ apt-cache policy postgresql-common
> postgresql-common:
>   Installed: 220.pgdg20.04+1
>   Candidate: 220.pgdg20.04+1
>   Version table:
>  *** 220.pgdg20.04+1 500
>         500 https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt focal-pgdg/main amd64 Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

I see it labeled as pgdg, but exactly where do we discuss packaging of
Debian packages in our community?  I do see we distribute them.

Greetings,

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 04:15:37PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Bruce Momjian (bruce@momjian.us) wrote:
> > > The community does not produce any installers that use systemd.  You
> > > will need to report this to the place you got the packages.
> >
> > This is certainly not accurate, at least on Debian-based systems...
> >
> > ➜  ~ dpkg -L postgresql-common | grep systemd
> > /lib/systemd
> > /lib/systemd/system
> > /lib/systemd/system/postgresql.service
> > /lib/systemd/system/postgresql@.service
> > /lib/systemd/system-generators
> > /lib/systemd/system-generators/postgresql-generator
> > /usr/share/doc/postgresql-common/README.systemd
> > ➜  ~ apt-cache policy postgresql-common
> > postgresql-common:
> >   Installed: 220.pgdg20.04+1
> >   Candidate: 220.pgdg20.04+1
> >   Version table:
> >  *** 220.pgdg20.04+1 500
> >         500 https://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt focal-pgdg/main amd64 Packages
> >         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> I see it labeled as pgdg, but exactly where do we discuss packaging of
> Debian packages in our community?  I do see we distribute them.

It's labeled as PGDG and from apt.postgresql.org.  For the Debian
packages, the appropriate place to discuss changes is
pgsql-pkg-debian@lists.postgresql.org.

We also have a pgsql-pkg-yum@lists.postgresql.org for discussing the RPM
based packages.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment
On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 04:53:00PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> It's labeled as PGDG and from apt.postgresql.org.  For the Debian
> packages, the appropriate place to discuss changes is
> pgsql-pkg-debian@lists.postgresql.org.
>
> We also have a pgsql-pkg-yum@lists.postgresql.org for discussing the RPM
> based packages.

Wow, I had no idea those lists even exists, but I see them now:

    https://www.postgresql.org/list/

Thanks.