Christopher Browne

From
Steve Singer
Date:
It is with much sadness that I am letting the community know that Chris
Browne passed away recently.

Chris had been a long time community member and was active on various
Postgresql mailing lists.  He was a member of the funds committee, the PgCon
program committee and served on the board of the PostgreSQL Community
Association of Canada. Chris was a maintainer of the Slony
replication system and worked on various PG related tools.

I worked with Chris for over 10 years and anytime someone had a problem he
would jump at the chance to help and propose solutions. He
always had time to listen to your problem and offer ideas or explain how
something worked.

I will miss Chris

Steve

Re: Christopher Browne

From
Bikram Majumdar
Date:
So sorry to hear this news.

It is with much sadness that I am letting the community know that Chris
Browne passed away recently.

Chris had been a long time community member and was active on various
Postgresql mailing lists.  He was a member of the funds committee, the PgCon
program committee and served on the board of the PostgreSQL Community
Association of Canada. Chris was a maintainer of the Slony
replication system and worked on various PG related tools.

I worked with Chris for over 10 years and anytime someone had a problem he
would jump at the chance to help and propose solutions. He
always had time to listen to your problem and offer ideas or explain how
something worked.

I will miss Chris

Steve

Re: Christopher Browne

From
Christophe Pettus

> On Nov 4, 2020, at 15:29, Steve Singer <steve@ssinger.info> wrote:
>
> It is with much sadness that I am letting the community know that Chris Browne passed away recently.

I'm so sorry to hear this.  I did not know him well, but he was always a kind and friendly face anytime I saw him at
events.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
   xof@thebuild.com

Re: Christopher Browne

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
Christopher Browne was my colleague and friend at Afilias and past for more than a decade. I have countless memories that connect us. He will be missed.

Jan

It is with much sadness that I am letting the community know that Chris
Browne passed away recently.

Chris had been a long time community member and was active on various
Postgresql mailing lists.  He was a member of the funds committee, the PgCon
program committee and served on the board of the PostgreSQL Community
Association of Canada. Chris was a maintainer of the Slony
replication system and worked on various PG related tools.

I worked with Chris for over 10 years and anytime someone had a problem he
would jump at the chance to help and propose solutions. He
always had time to listen to your problem and offer ideas or explain how
something worked.

I will miss Chris

Steve

Re: Christopher Browne

From
Pavan Pusuluri
Date:
So sorry to hear the news. May his soul rest in peace.

Regards
Pavan

[...]

Joe Conway
Date:
On 11/4/20 7:45 PM, Jan Wieck wrote:
> Christopher Browne was my colleague and friend at Afilias and past for more than
> a decade. I have countless memories that connect us. He will be missed.
>

> Jan

He will definitely be missed. Rest in Peace Chris.

Joe

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com

Re: Christopher Browne

From
raf
Date:
On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 06:29:18PM -0500, Steve Singer <steve@ssinger.info> wrote:

> It is with much sadness that I am letting the community know that Chris
> Browne passed away recently.
>
> Chris had been a long time community member and was active on various
> Postgresql mailing lists.  He was a member of the funds committee, the PgCon
> program committee and served on the board of the PostgreSQL Community
> Association of Canada. Chris was a maintainer of the Slony replication
> system and worked on various PG related tools.
>
> I worked with Chris for over 10 years and anytime someone had a problem he
> would jump at the chance to help and propose solutions. He always had time
> to listen to your problem and offer ideas or explain how something worked.
>
> I will miss Chris
>
> Steve

He sounds exactly like the kind of person you want to have around.

Re: Christopher Browne

From
Dave Cramer

On Wed., Nov. 4, 2020, 8:10 p.m. raf, <raf@raf.org> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 06:29:18PM -0500, Steve Singer <steve@ssinger.info> wrote:

> It is with much sadness that I am letting the community know that Chris
> Browne passed away recently.
>
> Chris had been a long time community member and was active on various
> Postgresql mailing lists.  He was a member of the funds committee, the PgCon
> program committee and served on the board of the PostgreSQL Community
> Association of Canada. Chris was a maintainer of the Slony replication
> system and worked on various PG related tools.
>
> I worked with Chris for over 10 years and anytime someone had a problem he
> would jump at the chance to help and propose solutions. He always had time
> to listen to your problem and offer ideas or explain how something worked.
>
> I will miss Chris
>
> Steve

He sounds exactly like the kind of person you want to have around.

Very sorry to hear about Chris. I considered him a friend. He will be missed.

Dave

Re: Christopher Browne

From
Nikolay Samokhvalov
Date:
What a sad news.

Rest In Peace, Christopher.

Condolences to friends and family.

It is with much sadness that I am letting the community know that Chris
Browne passed away recently.

Chris had been a long time community member and was active on various
Postgresql mailing lists.  He was a member of the funds committee, the PgCon
program committee and served on the board of the PostgreSQL Community
Association of Canada. Chris was a maintainer of the Slony
replication system and worked on various PG related tools.

I worked with Chris for over 10 years and anytime someone had a problem he
would jump at the chance to help and propose solutions. He
always had time to listen to your problem and offer ideas or explain how
something worked.

I will miss Chris

Steve

Re: Christopher Browne

From
Vincenzo Campanella
Date:
RIP Chris

Il 05.11.2020 02:09, raf ha scritto:
> On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 06:29:18PM -0500, Steve Singer <steve@ssinger.info> wrote:
>
>> It is with much sadness that I am letting the community know that Chris
>> Browne passed away recently.
>>
>> Chris had been a long time community member and was active on various
>> Postgresql mailing lists.  He was a member of the funds committee, the PgCon
>> program committee and served on the board of the PostgreSQL Community
>> Association of Canada. Chris was a maintainer of the Slony replication
>> system and worked on various PG related tools.
>>
>> I worked with Chris for over 10 years and anytime someone had a problem he
>> would jump at the chance to help and propose solutions. He always had time
>> to listen to your problem and offer ideas or explain how something worked.
>>
>> I will miss Chris
>>
>> Steve
> He sounds exactly like the kind of person you want to have around.

Re: Christopher Browne

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 at 23:29, Steve Singer <steve@ssinger.info> wrote:

> It is with much sadness that I am letting the community know that Chris
> Browne passed away recently.

Sad news. He was a good man and a valued contributor.

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.EnterpriseDB.com/

Re: Christopher Browne

From
Jonathan Katz

> On Nov 4, 2020, at 6:29 PM, Steve Singer <steve@ssinger.info> wrote:
>

> It is with much sadness that I am letting the community know that Chris Browne passed away recently.
>
> Chris had been a long time community member and was active on various Postgresql mailing lists.  He was a member of
thefunds committee, the PgCon program committee and served on the board of the PostgreSQL Community Association of
Canada.Chris was a maintainer of the Slony replication system and worked on various PG related tools.

> I worked with Chris for over 10 years and anytime someone had a problem he would jump at the chance to help and
proposesolutions. He always had time to listen to your problem and offer ideas or explain how something worked.

I am deeply saddened by this news.

I was very lucky to work with Chris on some of the committees you mentioned. He was always generous, helpful, friendly
and,as you said, would be willing to listen and work with you on any problem.

> I will miss Chris

+1. We will certainly miss him. My sincerest condolences to his family.

Jonathan

Re: Christopher Browne

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 6:29 PM Steve Singer <steve@ssinger.info> wrote:

> It is with much sadness that I am letting the community know that Chris
> Browne passed away recently.
>
> Chris had been a long time community member and was active on various
> Postgresql mailing lists.  He was a member of the funds committee, the PgCon
> program committee and served on the board of the PostgreSQL Community
> Association of Canada. Chris was a maintainer of the Slony
> replication system and worked on various PG related tools.
>
> I worked with Chris for over 10 years and anytime someone had a problem he
> would jump at the chance to help and propose solutions. He
> always had time to listen to your problem and offer ideas or explain how
> something worked.
>
> I will miss Chris

Chris is one of the folks whom I got to meet online very early in my
time with the project, who was there in Toronto at the first
developer's conference [1], and was one of the folks I always looked
forward to seeing in Ottawa, even if it was just to quickly catch-up.
I suspect his contributions to the project are understated, but a lot
of time, troubleshooting, and tutoring came from Chris to many others
of us around Slony (back when Slony was the main game in town) and
around plpgsql. Of course, he knew his way around an OS just as well
as he knew Postgres.

I think my fondest memory of Chris was one, many years back, when I
just happened to be in Toronto for non-postgres related business, and
we coordinated to meet up for a quick drink and to catch-up. He was
kind enough to offer me an invitation to a private "computer users"
dinner that he often frequented at a hole-in-the-wall Hungarian place.
I'm always game for a bit of adventure and I'm so glad I was because
ended up being a truly special night, learning much more about Chris
away from the database stuff, with a bunch of great food (still don't
know half of what it was), and the realization that this small group
of friends included several luminaries in the computer science field,
(as one example Henry Spencer, who wrote the "regex" software library
for regular expressions), who I can't imagine ever having the
opportunity to meet otherwise.

Most of us are not nearly as open and as kind as he was, and he will
indeed be missed.

[1] https://ic.pics.livejournal.com/obartunov/24248903/36575/36575_original.jpg,
he is the one in the back, holding up the sign.

Robert Treat
https://xzilla.net

Re: Christopher Browne

Date:
On Wed, Nov  4, 2020 at 06:29:18PM -0500, Steve Singer wrote:

> It is with much sadness that I am letting the community know that Chris
> Browne passed away recently.
>
> Chris had been a long time community member and was active on various
> Postgresql mailing lists.  He was a member of the funds committee, the PgCon
> program committee and served on the board of the PostgreSQL Community
> Association of Canada. Chris was a maintainer of the Slony replication
> system and worked on various PG related tools.
>
> I worked with Chris for over 10 years and anytime someone had a problem he
> would jump at the chance to help and propose solutions. He always had time
> to listen to your problem and offer ideas or explain how something worked.

FYI, the funeral service is online today at 11am US/Eastern time (in one
hour):

        https://youtu.be/hOgMwmFYJM4

The URL was listed on the web page of the obituary:

    https://www.arbormemorial.ca/capital/obituaries/christopher-bruce-browne/57436/