pgsql: Improve the error message for an inappropriate column definition

Date:
Improve the error message for an inappropriate column definition list.

The existing message about "a column definition list is only allowed for
functions returning "record"" could be given in some cases where it was
fairly confusing; in particular, a function with multiple OUT parameters
*does* return record according to pg_proc.  Break it down into a couple
more cases to deliver a more on-point complaint.  Per complaint from
Bruce Momjian.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/798909.1600562993@sss.pgh.pa.us

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ce90f075f0d831ca4085ba73891b7da2a2f7047e

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/parser/parse_relation.c      | 44 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----
src/test/regress/expected/rangefuncs.out | 13 ++++++++++
src/test/regress/sql/rangefuncs.sql      |  5 ++++

Re: pgsql: Improve the error message for an inappropriate column definition

Date:
On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 02:49:22PM +0000, Tom Lane wrote:
> Improve the error message for an inappropriate column definition list.
>
> The existing message about "a column definition list is only allowed for
> functions returning "record"" could be given in some cases where it was
> fairly confusing; in particular, a function with multiple OUT parameters
> *does* return record according to pg_proc.  Break it down into a couple
> more cases to deliver a more on-point complaint.  Per complaint from
> Bruce Momjian.
>
> Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/798909.1600562993@sss.pgh.pa.us

Uh, did you not want to backpatch this?

Re: pgsql: Improve the error message for an inappropriate column definition

Date:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 02:49:22PM +0000, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Improve the error message for an inappropriate column definition list.

> Uh, did you not want to backpatch this?

No.  It's not a bug fix, and it'd add work for translators.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql: Improve the error message for an inappropriate column definition

Date:
On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 02:58:49PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 02:49:22PM +0000, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Improve the error message for an inappropriate column definition list.
>
> > Uh, did you not want to backpatch this?
>
> No.  It's not a bug fix, and it'd add work for translators.

OK.  I guess this wasn't enough of an improvement.