Need a depth information about bloat

From
Rama Krishnan
Date:
Hi Mentors,

I am searching for an understanding of bloat in PostgreSQL

What is bloat?

How does it work?

What is the use of bloat?

Limitations of bloat?

Thanks

Rama Krishnan

Re: Need a depth information about bloat

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 8/9/20 8:01 PM, Rama Krishnan wrote:
> Hi Mentors,
>

> I am searching for an understanding of bloat in PostgreSQL
>
> What is bloat?
>
> How does it work?
>
> What is the use of bloat?
>
> Limitations of bloat?

Read this section of the docs:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/routine-vacuuming.html

and if you still have questions then come back with them.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Need a depth information about bloat

From
Rob Sargent

> On Aug 9, 2020, at 9:01 PM, Rama Krishnan <raghuldrag@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Mentors,
>

> I am searching for an understanding of bloat in PostgreSQL
>
> What is bloat?
>
> How does it work?
>
> What is the use of bloat?
>
> Limitations of bloat?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rama Krishnan
Bloat is not a feature of postgreSQL, it’s a consequence. It has no redeeming value.
Updates to tuples generally cause a new tuples to be constructed and the original to be marked as disposable. It is the
jobof the vacuum process to rid the table of this record. Until this happens the marked record as part of the bloat for
thattable.

Re: Need a depth information about bloat

From
Rama Krishnan
Date:
Thank you for the clarification brother 😊👌

On Mon, 10 Aug, 2020, 09:47 Rob Sargent, <robjsargent@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2020, at 9:01 PM, Rama Krishnan <raghuldrag@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hi Mentors,
>

> I am searching for an understanding of bloat in PostgreSQL
>
> What is bloat?
>
> How does it work?
>
> What is the use of bloat?
>
> Limitations of bloat?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rama Krishnan
Bloat is not a feature of postgreSQL, it’s a consequence. It has no redeeming value.
Updates to tuples generally cause a new tuples to be constructed and the original to be marked as disposable. It is the job of the vacuum process to rid the table of this record. Until this happens the marked record as part of the bloat for that table.

Re: Need a depth information about bloat

From
Rama Krishnan
Date:
Thanks for your reply brother 😊✌