Does TOAST really compress the complete row?

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
I am confused about one claim in this blog post:
https://www.2ndquadrant.com/en/blog/oracle-to-postgresql-binary-objects

> All columns that come after data > 2000 bytes participate in The
> Large Attribute Strorage Technique (TOAST). This storage is for the
> row, not the column. Your id column comes as the last column in the
> table? Whoopsie, your primary key just got shoved into blob storage
I always was under the impression that TOASTing only happens on column level, not on row level.
The manual does not mention anything about the whole row being TOASTed if one column exceeds the threshold.

Can someone clarify please?

Thomas

Re: Does TOAST really compress the complete row?

Date:
Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net> writes:
> I am confused about one claim in this blog post:
https://www.2ndquadrant.com/en/blog/oracle-to-postgresql-binary-objects

>> All columns that come after data > 2000 bytes participate in The
>> Large Attribute Strorage Technique (TOAST). This storage is for the
>> row, not the column. Your id column comes as the last column in the
>> table? Whoopsie, your primary key just got shoved into blob storage

> I always was under the impression that TOASTing only happens on column level, not on row level.

You're right, and the quoted text is wrong.  Not only does TOAST compress
fields not whole rows, but it selectively targets wider fields first.
If your pkey is getting toasted, you should likely rethink your choice
of pkey.  (Or, possibly, you just have so many fields there's no choice
but to compress all of them.  Then it might be time for a table redesign.)

The decision-making about this is concentrated in
heap_toast_insert_or_update, which can be seen here:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=blob;f=src/backend/access/heap/heaptoast.c

            regards, tom lane

Re: Does TOAST really compress the complete row?

From
Adam Brusselback
Date:
Another thing that was said I wasn't aware of and have not been able to find any evidence to support:

> 10. Blobs don’t participate in Logical replication.

Re: Does TOAST really compress the complete row?

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 7/2/20 4:29 PM, Adam Brusselback wrote:
> Another thing that was said I wasn't aware of and have not been able to
> find any evidence to support:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/logical-replication-restrictions.html

"Large objects (see Chapter 34) are not replicated. There is no
workaround for that, other than storing data in normal tables."

Of course that does not apply to bytea:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/datatype-binary.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/logical-replication-restrictions.html

> "Large objects (see Chapter 34) are not replicated. There is no
> workaround for that, other than storing data in normal tables."

> Of course that does not apply to bytea:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/datatype-binary.html

That makes sense now, I was reading that section as if it were talking about bytea, not LO.

Thanks for pointing that out!
- Adam