11.7 Indexes on Expressions: editorial correction

From
PG Doc comments form
Date:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/indexes-expressional.html

The paragraph that begins "If we were to declare this index UNIQUE,..."
refers to the index test1_lower_col1_idx, not to the test1_uniq_int index it
currently follows. It would appear the latter example was spliced into the
middle of discussing the former.

The paragraphs should be ordered:

CREATE INDEX test1_lower_col1_idx ....

If we were to declare this index UNIQUE, ...

Expression indexes also allow control....

CREATE UNIQUE INDEX test1_uniq_int ...

Re: 11.7 Indexes on Expressions: editorial correction

Date:
PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> The paragraph that begins "If we were to declare this index UNIQUE,..."
> refers to the index test1_lower_col1_idx, not to the test1_uniq_int index it
> currently follows. It would appear the latter example was spliced into the
> middle of discussing the former.

Yes, this was complained of before:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/E1ikvbp-0005jW-E9%40gemulon.postgresql.org

I remain of the opinion that we'd be best off to just revert
a9760d0f3 altogether.  Bruce's last proposal mostly did that,
but it still insisted on muddying an existing example with an
unrelated comment.

            regards, tom lane

Re: 11.7 Indexes on Expressions: editorial correction

Date:
On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 10:32:01AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> > The paragraph that begins "If we were to declare this index UNIQUE,..."
> > refers to the index test1_lower_col1_idx, not to the test1_uniq_int index it
> > currently follows. It would appear the latter example was spliced into the
> > middle of discussing the former.
>
> Yes, this was complained of before:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/E1ikvbp-0005jW-E9%40gemulon.postgresql.org
>
> I remain of the opinion that we'd be best off to just revert
> a9760d0f3 altogether.  Bruce's last proposal mostly did that,
> but it still insisted on muddying an existing example with an
> unrelated comment.

Muddy patch applied.  ;-)  I am open to clarifying it but I think we
need something in our docs about this idea.