Feedback on table expansion hook (including patch)

From
Erik Nordström
Date:
Hi,

I am looking for feedback on the possibility of adding a table expansion hook to PostgreSQL (see attached patch). The motivation for this is to allow extensions to optimize table expansion. In particular, TimescaleDB does its own table expansion in order to apply a number of optimizations, including partition pruning (note that TimescaleDB uses inheritance since PostgreSQL 9.6 rather than declarative partitioning ). There's currently no official hook for table expansion, but TimescaleDB has been using the get_relation_info hook for this purpose. Unfortunately, PostgreSQL 12 broke this for us since it moved expansion to a later stage where we can no longer control it without some pretty bad hacks. Given that PostgreSQL 12 changed the expansion state of a table for the get_relation_info hook, we are thinking about this as a regression and are wondering if this could be considered against the head of PG 12 or maybe even PG 13 (although we realize feature freeze has been reached)?

The attached patch is against PostgreSQL master (commit fb544735) and is about ~10 lines of code. It doesn't change any existing behavior; it only allows getting control of expand_inherited_rtentry, which would make a huge difference for TimescaleDB.

Best regards,

Erik
Engineering team lead
Timescale

Attachment

Re: Feedback on table expansion hook (including patch)

From
"Hans-Jürgen Schönig (PostgreSQL)"
Date:
that sounds really really useful.
i can see a ton of use cases for that.
we also toyed with the idea recently of having pluggable FSM strategies.
that one could be quite useful as well.

regards,

hans

--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
Gröhrmühlgasse 26, A-2700 Wiener Neustadt

Re: Feedback on table expansion hook (including patch)

From
Euler Taveira
Date: