Commit fest manager for 2020-03

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
Hi all,

The next commit fets is going to begin in a couple of days, and there
is a total of 207 patches registered as of today.  We don't have any
manager yet, so is there any volunteer for taking the lead this time?

Michael

Attachment

Re: Commit fest manager for 2020-03

From
Michael Banck
Date:
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 04:41:12PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> The next commit fets is going to begin in a couple of days, and there
> is a total of 207 patches registered as of today.  We don't have any
> manager yet, so is there any volunteer for taking the lead this time?

This is the last one for v13 I think? So probably somebody quite
experienced should handle this one. Or (if there is one already for
v13?) maybe even the Release Team themselves?

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz

Re: Commit fest manager for 2020-03

From
David Steele
Date:
On 2/26/20 3:15 AM, Michael Banck wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 04:41:12PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> The next commit fets is going to begin in a couple of days, and there
>> is a total of 207 patches registered as of today.  We don't have any
>> manager yet, so is there any volunteer for taking the lead this time?
>
> This is the last one for v13 I think? So probably somebody quite
> experienced should handle this one. Or (if there is one already for
> v13?) maybe even the Release Team themselves?

I'm happy to be CFM for this commitfest.

I'm not sure it would be a good use of resources to have the release
team performing CFM duties directly.  They will have enough on their
plate and in any case I don't think the team has been announced yet.

-David
david@pgmasters.net

Re: Commit fest manager for 2020-03

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
> On 26 Feb 2020, at 14:39, David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
>
> On 2/26/20 3:15 AM, Michael Banck wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 04:41:12PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>>> The next commit fets is going to begin in a couple of days, and there
>>> is a total of 207 patches registered as of today.  We don't have any
>>> manager yet, so is there any volunteer for taking the lead this time?
>> This is the last one for v13 I think? So probably somebody quite
>> experienced should handle this one. Or (if there is one already for
>> v13?) maybe even the Release Team themselves?
>
> I'm happy to be CFM for this commitfest.

Thanks!

> I'm not sure it would be a good use of resources to have the release team performing CFM duties directly.  They will
haveenough on their plate

Absolutely, combining CFM and RM duties will make one of them (or both) suffer
a lack of attention.

cheers ./daniel

Re: Commit fest manager for 2020-03

From
Tomas Vondra
Date:
On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 03:29:18PM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 26 Feb 2020, at 14:39, David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:

>>> This is the last one for v13 I think? So probably somebody quite
>>> experienced should handle this one. Or (if there is one already for
>>> v13?) maybe even the Release Team themselves?
>>
>> I'm happy to be CFM for this commitfest.
>
>Thanks!
>
>> I'm not sure it would be a good use of resources to have the release
>> team performing CFM duties directly.  They will have enough on their
>> plate
>
>Absolutely, combining CFM and RM duties will make one of them (or both)
>suffer a lack of attention.

Did we actually decide who's going to be on RMT this year? I don't think
anyone particular was mentioned / proposed at the FOSDEM dev meeting. It
might be a good idea to decide that before the last CF too.

regards

Date:
> On 26 Feb 2020, at 16:29, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> Did we actually decide who's going to be on RMT this year? I don't think
> anyone particular was mentioned / proposed at the FOSDEM dev meeting. It
> might be a good idea to decide that before the last CF too.

We didn't, we only discussed (based on feedback from previous RMTs) that having
some level of timezone overlap between the members makes for shorter roundtrips
in communication.

cheers ./daniel

Re: Commit fest manager for 2020-03

Date:
David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> writes:
> On 2/26/20 3:15 AM, Michael Banck wrote:
>> This is the last one for v13 I think? So probably somebody quite
>> experienced should handle this one. Or (if there is one already for
>> v13?) maybe even the Release Team themselves?

> I'm not sure it would be a good use of resources to have the release
> team performing CFM duties directly.  They will have enough on their
> plate and in any case I don't think the team has been announced yet.

The Release Team hasn't been picked yet.  In past years I think
we've chosen them at the PGCon dev meeting.  So really, there's no
overlap --- the CF will be done before we need the RT.

Having said that, if you want to do it, that's great.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 10:45:16AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> writes:
>> On 2/26/20 3:15 AM, Michael Banck wrote:
>>> This is the last one for v13 I think? So probably somebody quite
>>> experienced should handle this one. Or (if there is one already for
>>> v13?) maybe even the Release Team themselves?
>
>> I'm not sure it would be a good use of resources to have the release
>> team performing CFM duties directly.  They will have enough on their
>> plate and in any case I don't think the team has been announced yet.
>
>The Release Team hasn't been picked yet.  In past years I think
>we've chosen them at the PGCon dev meeting.  So really, there's no
>overlap --- the CF will be done before we need the RT.

Nope, the RMT for PG12 was announced on 2019/03/30 [1], i.e. shortly
before the end of the last CF (and before pgcon). I think there was some
discussion about the members at/after the FOSDEM dev meeting. The
overlap with CFM duties is still fairly minimal, and there's not much
for RMT to do before the end of the last CF anyway ...

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20190330094043.GA28827@paquier.xyz

Maybe we shouldn't wait with assembling RMT until pgcon, though.

regards

Date:
On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 03:29:18PM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> On 26 Feb 2020, at 14:39, David Steele <david@pgmasters.net> wrote:
>> I'm happy to be CFM for this commitfest.
>
> Thanks!

Thanks David!
--

Date:
On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 08:34:26PM +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> Nope, the RMT for PG12 was announced on 2019/03/30 [1], i.e. shortly
> before the end of the last CF (and before pgcon). I think there was some
> discussion about the members at/after the FOSDEM dev meeting. The
> overlap with CFM duties is still fairly minimal, and there's not much
> for RMT to do before the end of the last CF anyway ...
>
> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20190330094043.GA28827@paquier.xyz
>
> Maybe we shouldn't wait with assembling RMT until pgcon, though.

Waiting until PGCon if a bad idea, because we need to decide the
feature freeze deadline after the last CF, and this decision is taken
mainly by the RMT.  I think that it is also good to begin categorizing
open items and handle them when reported.
--
Michael

Attachment

Re: Commit fest manager for 2020-03

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2020-Feb-27, Michael Paquier wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 08:34:26PM +0100, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> > Nope, the RMT for PG12 was announced on 2019/03/30 [1], i.e. shortly
> > before the end of the last CF (and before pgcon). I think there was some
> > discussion about the members at/after the FOSDEM dev meeting. The
> > overlap with CFM duties is still fairly minimal, and there's not much
> > for RMT to do before the end of the last CF anyway ...
> >
> > [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20190330094043.GA28827@paquier.xyz
> >
> > Maybe we shouldn't wait with assembling RMT until pgcon, though.
>
> Waiting until PGCon if a bad idea,

+1.  As I recall, the RMT assembles around the time the last CF is over.
Last year it was announced on March 30th, which is the latest date it
has ever happened.  The history can be seen at the bottom here:
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/RMT