Function not imported in Entity Framework

From
Vikram Sah

Dear sir/mam,

I want to integrate PostgreSQL database to entity framework in asp.net using database first approach. but when try to add function then error occurred:

Error 6046: Unable to generate function import return type of the store function.

I have following configuration:

PostgreSQL 11.6,
npgsql v.4.0.9.0,
EntityFramework6.Npgsql 3.2.1.1,
in .net framework 4.5.2

My function in postgresql database is :

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION dbo.EmployeeDetail ()
RETURNS TABLE (
emp_name VARCHAR,
emp_Id UUID
)
AS $$
BEGIN
RETURN QUERY SELECT
"EmployeName",
"EmployeeID"
FROM
dbo.Employee;
END; $$

LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

Can you pls help! I did more researches but no luck.

Thanks!

Re: Function not imported in Entity Framework

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 2/6/20 1:36 AM, Vikram Sah wrote:
> Dear sir/mam,
>
> I want to integrate PostgreSQL database to entity framework in asp.net
> <http://asp.net> using database first approach. but when try to add
> function then error occurred:
>
> *Error 6046: Unable to generate function import return type of the store
> function.*

This really a question for the EntityFramework maintainers/users. Still
I did find this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24161005/error-6046-unable-to-generate-function-import-return-type-of-the-store-function

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Function not imported in Entity Framework

From
Vikram Sah
Date:
Thank you so much sir, but it didn't work for me as the database function in PostgreSQL and  EntityFramework6.Npgsql  is used as provider for entity framework.

Thanks!
Vikram

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 2/11/20 3:56 AM, Vikram Sah wrote:
> Thank you so much sir, but it didn't work for me as the database
> function in PostgreSQL and EntityFramework6.Npgsql  is used as provider
> for entity framework.

I have no idea where to go from here. Your best bet would be to reach
out to the EntityFramework6.Npgsql community

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Function not imported in Entity Framework

From
Vikram Sah
Date:
Got it sir, but unfortunately they have not provided any solution for the last 5 days.

Thanks

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Date:
On 2/11/20 8:35 AM, Vikram Sah wrote:
> Got it sir, but unfortunately they have not provided any solution for
> the last 5 days.

Where have you asked besides here?

> Thanks
>
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2020, 10:12 pm Adrian Klaver, <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>
>     On 2/11/20 3:56 AM, Vikram Sah wrote:
>      > Thank you so much sir, but it didn't work for me as the database
>      > function in PostgreSQL and EntityFramework6.Npgsql  is used as
>     provider
>      > for entity framework.
>
>     I have no idea where to go from here. Your best bet would be to reach
>     out to the EntityFramework6.Npgsql community
>
>      >
>      > Thanks!
>      > Vikram
>      >

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Function not imported in Entity Framework

From
Vikram Sah
Date:
Sir,
I asked this in npgsql community who have developed "EntityFramework6.Npgsql" , link is :
 https://github.com/npgsql/npgsql/issues/948. and developer named  Shay Rojansky aka roji has replied as below image:

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

RE: Function not imported in Entity Framework

From
farjad.farid

Thanks for highlighting this issue.

I have tested this using .net 4.8 and Core 3.1 against Sql Server, they all exhibit the same problem.

The best course of action is probably to identify a workaround, based on your project, until Microsoft team have the time to fix the issue.
It would be good idea to report this to Microsoft.

@roji

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 10:30 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

On 2/11/20 8:35 AM, Vikram Sah wrote:
> Got it sir, but unfortunately they have not provided any solution for
> the last 5 days.

Where have you asked besides here?

> Thanks
>
> On Tue, 11 Feb 2020, 10:12 pm Adrian Klaver, <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>
>     On 2/11/20 3:56 AM, Vikram Sah wrote:
>      > Thank you so much sir, but it didn't work for me as the database
>      > function in PostgreSQL and EntityFramework6.Npgsql  is used as
>     provider
>      > for entity framework.
>
>     I have no idea where to go from here. Your best bet would be to reach
>     out to the EntityFramework6.Npgsql community
>
>      >
>      > Thanks!
>      > Vikram
>      >
>

>     --
>     Adrian Klaver
>     adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Function not imported in Entity Framework

From
Vikram Sah
Date:
Thanks for your prompt response sir,.
For now We have decided to use Dapper ORM by considering the future changes.

I surely look for you guidelines in coming future.

Thank you so much again for clearing my confusion.

Best regards
Ravi