Allow cluster_name in log_line_prefix

From
Craig Ringer
Date:
Hi folks

I was recently surprised to notice that log_line_prefix doesn't support a cluster_name placeholder. I suggest adding one. If I don't hear objections I'll send a patch.

Before anyone asks "but why?!":

* A constant (short) string in log_line_prefix is immensely useful when working with logs from multi-node systems. Whether that's physical streaming replication, logical replication, Citus, whatever, it doesn't matter. It's worth paying the small storage price for sanity when looking at logs.

* Yes you can embed it directly into log_line_prefix. But then it gets copied by pg_basebackup or whatever you're using to clone standbys etc, so you can easily land up with multiple instances reporting the same name. This rather defeats the purpose.

 2ndQuadrant - PostgreSQL Solutions for the Enterprise

Re: Allow cluster_name in log_line_prefix

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 3:33 PM Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> I was recently surprised to notice that log_line_prefix doesn't support a cluster_name placeholder. I suggest adding
one.If I don't hear objections I'll send a patch.

+1

Re: Allow cluster_name in log_line_prefix

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> Hi folks
>
> I was recently surprised to notice that log_line_prefix doesn't support a
> cluster_name placeholder. I suggest adding one. If I don't hear objections
> I'll send a patch.

I think it'd be a good thing for users.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: Allow cluster_name in log_line_prefix

From
Fujii Masao
Date:
On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 1:33 PM Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> I was recently surprised to notice that log_line_prefix doesn't support a cluster_name placeholder. I suggest adding
one.If I don't hear objections I'll send a patch.

If we do this, cluster_name should be included in csvlog?

Fujii Masao

Re: Allow cluster_name in log_line_prefix

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi,

On 2019-10-28 12:33:00 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> I was recently surprised to notice that log_line_prefix doesn't support a
> cluster_name placeholder. I suggest adding one. If I don't hear objections
> I'll send a patch.
>
> Before anyone asks "but why?!":
>
> * A constant (short) string in log_line_prefix is immensely useful when
> working with logs from multi-node systems. Whether that's physical
> streaming replication, logical replication, Citus, whatever, it doesn't
> matter. It's worth paying the small storage price for sanity when looking
> at logs.
>
> * Yes you can embed it directly into log_line_prefix. But then it gets
> copied by pg_basebackup or whatever you're using to clone standbys etc, so
> you can easily land up with multiple instances reporting the same name.
> This rather defeats the purpose.

+1. For a while this was part of the patch that added cluster_name
(possibly worthwhile digging it up from that thread), but some people
thought it was unnecessary, so it was excised from the patch to get the
basic feature...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Allow cluster_name in log_line_prefix

From
Vik Fearing
Date:
On 31/10/2019 08:47, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 1:33 PM Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Hi folks
>>
>> I was recently surprised to notice that log_line_prefix doesn't support a cluster_name placeholder. I suggest adding
one.If I don't hear objections I'll send a patch.

> If we do this, cluster_name should be included in csvlog?

Yes, absolutely.

--

Vik Fearing

Date:
On Sun, 3 Nov 2019 at 07:22, Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 31/10/2019 08:47, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 1:33 PM Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>> Hi folks
>>
>> I was recently surprised to notice that log_line_prefix doesn't support a cluster_name placeholder. I suggest adding one. If I don't hear objections I'll send a patch.
> If we do this, cluster_name should be included in csvlog?

Yes, absolutely.

Ok, I can put that together soon then.

I don't think it's too likely that people will shout about it being added to csvlog. People using csvlog tend to be ingesting and postprocessing their logs anyway. Plus gzip is really, really good at dealing with redundancy.

 2ndQuadrant - PostgreSQL Solutions for the Enterprise