citext LIKE search bug

From
Morris de Oryx
Date:
I haven't reported a Postgres bug until now, please point me in the right direction if this isn't the right procedure for new reports.

I'm using citext fields, and am working through how to build indexes that the planner recognizes. I found this paragraph in the PG 11 release notes:

"Allow creation of indexes that can be used by LIKE comparisons on citext columns (Alexey Chernyshov)
To do this, the index must be created using the citext_pattern_ops operator class."

As far as I can tell, this doesn't work, or at least not in my case with an expression index. I've got a table with about 8M rows where the citext column contains anything from 1-5000+ characters. Since that's too big for a B-tree entry in some cases, I've got an expression index.

CREATE INDEX record_changes_log_detail_old_value_ix_btree
    ON record_changes_log_detail
    USING btree ((substring(old_value,1,1024)::citext) citext_pattern_ops);

The following = query *does* use the index:

set max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 0;
explain analyze
select * from record_changes_log_detail where substring(old_value,1,1024)::citext = 'Gold Kerrison Neuro';

The following LIKE query does *not* use the index:

set max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 0;
explain analyze
select * from record_changes_log_detail where substring(old_value,1,1024)::citext LIKE 'Gold Kerrison Neuro%';

Interestingly, if I build the index with text_pattern_ops, then these two queries *do* use the index:

select * from record_changes_log_detail where substring(old_value,1,1024) = 'Gold Kerrison Neuro';
select * from record_changes_log_detail where substring(old_value,1,1024) LIKE 'Gold Kerrison Neuro%';

So far as I can tell, the LIKE support for citext doesn't work. Or else I'm not understanding how to build the index or construct the query correctly.

Fwd: citext LIKE search bug

From
Morris de Oryx
Date:
[...]

Re: citext LIKE search bug

Date:
Morris de Oryx <morrisdeoryx@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm using citext fields, and am working through how to build indexes that
> the planner recognizes. I found this paragraph in the PG 11 release notes:

> "Allow creation of indexes that can be used by LIKE comparisons on citext
> columns (Alexey Chernyshov)
> To do this, the index must be created using the citext_pattern_ops operator
> class."
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/release-11.html

> As far as I can tell, this doesn't work, or at least not in my case with an
> expression index.

Hm.  I found the original submission in the archives [1], and Alexey
explicitly *didn't* claim that that patch was sufficient to enable LIKE
index optimizations on citext.  Indeed it obviously isn't, since it just
created some weirdly-named operators without connecting them up to the
LIKE plumbing in any way.  So this seems like a case of the REL11 release
notes author (probably Bruce) not reading too closely, which doesn't seem
like entirely his fault since the commit message was totally content-free
about what the point of the patch was [2].  But anyway, right now it seems
to me that citext_pattern_ops has exactly zero value, which makes me
wonder why we committed it in advance of some use-case getting filled in.
It's not such a large patch that it had to get in to reduce its maintenance
overhead.

While I'm looking at it, I notice that the patch failed to honor the
scalarltsel-vs-scalarlesel, scalargtsel-vs-scalargesel distinction
that had been created not too long before.  Sigh.

Anyway it seems like the only near-term to-do item here is to correct
the v11 release notes to not claim that citext_pattern_ops does anything
useful.  Maybe we should just remove the entry altogether.

            regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/d868ae6c-501c-a17c-c01b-f531d646172d%40postgrespro.ru
[2] https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git&a=commitdiff&h=f24649976

Re: citext LIKE search bug

From
Morris de Oryx
Date:
Thanks for the answer, "doc bug" works for me.

For what it's worth, the citext_pattern_ops option seems to provide case-blind = searches, which text_pattern_ops does not. Unless I got confused when I tested out the various permutations. If that's true, then citext_pattern_ops has value for me.

Date:
Morris de Oryx <morrisdeoryx@gmail.com> writes:
> For what it's worth, the citext_pattern_ops option seems to provide
> case-blind = searches, which text_pattern_ops does not. Unless I got
> confused when I tested out the various permutations. If that's true, then
> citext_pattern_ops has value for me.

The default citext index opclass should handle that case fine ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: citext LIKE search bug

From
Jeff Janes