PL/Python3 on RHEL 7: EPEL or SCL?

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi,

Just committed (and released) PL/Python3 support to #PostgreSQL 12 beta3 RPMs
on RHEL 7 (via EPEL).

Question: Should we depend on EPEL or SCL? The current patch is for EPEL, but
we can always change it. This is mostly for RHEL users actually, CentOS users
usually have more flexibility.

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: PL/Python3 on RHEL 7: EPEL or SCL?

From
Christoph Berg
Re: Devrim Gündüz 2019-09-01 <785b3e5c4aec688bdf7c82c25adbe3384a86c34a.camel@gunduz.org>
> Just committed (and released) PL/Python3 support to #PostgreSQL 12 beta3 RPMs
> on RHEL 7 (via EPEL).
>
> Question: Should we depend on EPEL or SCL? The current patch is for EPEL, but
> we can always change it. This is mostly for RHEL users actually, CentOS users
> usually have more flexibility.

SCL is installing stuff into pretty weird /opt folders, EPEL is much
nicer. I'd hate to find python3 stuff outside of /usr.

Christoph

Re: PL/Python3 on RHEL 7: EPEL or SCL?

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi Christoph,

On Mon, 2019-09-02 at 09:39 +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:
> SCL is installing stuff into pretty weird /opt folders, EPEL is much
> nicer. I'd hate to find python3 stuff outside of /usr.

Yeah, great point. This is why I prepared the patch against EPEL in the first
place.

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: PL/Python3 on RHEL 7: EPEL or SCL?

From
"James Cassell"
Date:
On Mon, Sep 2, 2019, at 12:03 PM, Devrim Gündüz wrote:

> Hi Christoph,
>
> On Mon, 2019-09-02 at 09:39 +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:
> > SCL is installing stuff into pretty weird /opt folders, EPEL is much
> > nicer. I'd hate to find python3 stuff outside of /usr.
>
> Yeah, great point. This is why I prepared the patch against EPEL in the first
> place.

I may not be understanding the context properly, but RHEL 7.7 now includes python 3.6 natively, installed in the
traditional/usr/ tree. Will also be in the equivalent CentOS release.

V/r,
James Cassell

> Regards,
> --
> Devrim Gündüz
> Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer
> Twitter: @DevrimGunduz , @DevrimGunduzTR
>
> Attachments:
> * signature.asc

Re: PL/Python3 on RHEL 7: EPEL or SCL?

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi James,

On Mon, 2019-09-02 at 12:47 -0400, James Cassell wrote:
> I may not be understanding the context properly, but RHEL 7.7 now includes
> python 3.6 natively, installed in the traditional /usr/ tree. Will also be in
> the equivalent CentOS release.

Oh, this is even better news. I'm fine with using 7.7 as the min OS version.
Thanks!