kilobyte unit spelled "K bytes"

From
Daniel Gustafsson
Date:
In the documentation there is a single instance of “K bytes” being used to
denote kilobytes (kB or kilobyte used everywhere else), which isn’t really
correct as the k should be lowercased.  The attached diff fixes this to make it
consistent with the rest of the documentation.  I opted for kilobytes rather
than kB to match the rest of the document in question.

cheers ./daniel

Attachment

Re: kilobyte unit spelled "K bytes"

From
Michael Paquier
Date:
On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 12:15:51PM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> In the documentation there is a single instance of “K bytes” being used to
> denote kilobytes (kB or kilobyte used everywhere else), which isn’t really
> correct as the k should be lowercased.  The attached diff fixes this to make it
> consistent with the rest of the documentation.  I opted for kilobytes rather
> than kB to match the rest of the document in question.

From doc/, we have that:
$ git grep kB | wc -l
40
$ git grep kilobytes | wc -l
21

Now, your choice makes sense to me, because 4 lines down the maximum
refers to "megabyte".  Do others have opinions to offer?
--
Michael

Attachment

Re: kilobyte unit spelled "K bytes"

From
Nikolay Samokhvalov

Although, 3 years passed since then. I constantly see "kiB", "MiB", etc in many discussions. And some very popular programs already migrated to it.

For example, in Linux, "top" uses "KiB Mem", "KiB Swap".

Date:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20160730001838.GA22405%40momjian.us#ef946043c336d66e717e0e6e96639f92
<https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20160730001838.GA22405@momjian.us#ef946043c336d66e717e0e6e96639f92>

> Although, 3 years passed since then. I constantly see "kiB", "MiB", etc in many discussions. And some very popular
programsalready migrated to it.

Not sure what you imply with that, the consensus from that thread was to not
change to KiB/KB etc?

cheers ./daniel

Date:
On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 10:37:26AM +0200, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> Not sure what you imply with that, the consensus from that thread was to not
> change to KiB/KB etc?

Yes, that's what I recall as well on the matter.  I have just applied
your original patch on HEAD.
--
Michael

Attachment