Start pgadmin4 server

From
Polgár Benedek

Dear Support team!

I use a chrome shortcut of pgadmin4, that I can manage the pgadmin4 software on windows taskbar.

But This shortcut only works if first time I run pgadmin4.exe (this exe start pgadmin4 server and open pgadmin4 client in chrome browser).

How can I start pgadmin4 server without open pgadmin4 client?

Best Regardsl:

Benedek Polgár

System administrator

polgar.benedek@otpmobil.com

1093 Budapest, Közraktár u. 30-32.

RiverPark, K30. épület, II. emelet

Attachment

Re: Start pgadmin4 server

From
Khushboo Vashi
Date:
Hi,

I use a chrome shortcut of pgadmin4, that I can manage the pgadmin4 software on windows taskbar.

But This shortcut only works if first time I run pgadmin4.exe (this exe start pgadmin4 server and open pgadmin4 client in chrome browser).

Once you start the server, you can see the pgAdmin 4 icon in the taskbar, even if you close the browser, the server will not be stopped.
Right click on the pgadmin 4 taskbar icon (one with elephant icon) > Click on New pgAdmin 4 Window.

Thanks,
Khushboo

How can I start pgadmin4 server without open pgadmin4 client?

Best Regardsl:

Benedek Polgár

System administrator

polgar.benedek@otpmobil.com

1093 Budapest, Közraktár u. 30-32.

RiverPark, K30. épület, II. emelet

Attachment

Re: Start pgadmin4 server

From
richard coleman
Date:
Khushboo,

Thanks for the thought, but I believe he is asking how to start pgAdmin4 without opening a browser window.  In other words, start pgAdmin4 but *never* see a browser window until you choose "New pgAdmin 4 window ...".

I don't think that's possible, at least from the desktop variant of pgAdmin4.  I would love to be shown to be wrong.

pgAdmin4 is still stuck between being a desktop application and a server application.

rik.

[...]

Dear Rik and Khushboo,

thanks the answers!

Does this mean that the process in the red section cannot be started separately?

Best Regards:  Benedek Polgár | System administrator | System administrator

[...]

mrivera
Date:
is there a way to not have a server start?  i have this on an older laptop
and it does not say starting pgadmin4 server and is just a client.  I am
trying to find a way for this new version on my new laptop to not start a
server. Thank you for any assistance.

--
Sent from: https://www.postgresql-archive.org/PostgreSQL-pgadmin-support-f2191615.html

Re: Start pgadmin4 server

From
richard coleman
Date:
mrivera,

Welcome.  Running pgAdmin4 doesn't require you to be running, nor start running a local postgreSQL server.  There may be some confusion in that pgAdmin *itself* is a server (just not a postgreSQL server).  Actually pgAdmin4 is just the back end, it relies on a browser to provide a user interface (UI).  It can be set up in two modes; 'server' mode (which is rather confusing I'll admit) and 'desktop' mode.  The major difference between the two is that in 'desktop' mode it doesn't require you to login, whereas 'server' mode is designed to be run on a separate machine and accessed over the network requiring users to provide login credentials to pgAdmin4 itself, in addition to any credentials needed to log into a particular instance of postgreSQL.

So, if you are running on a constrained laptop, I would be careful to go into your taskbar (assuming you are running Windows) and use the pgAdmin4 icon to stop the server when you are finished using it.  It will restart the next time you try to run pgAdmin4.  Admittedly it would be helpful if there was a setting that automatically stopped the pgAdmin4 server from continuing to run after the last browser window was closed and it is configured in 'desktop' mode.  Perhaps someday.

I hope that helps,

rik.