Need a referential constraint to a non-unique record

From
David Gauthier
Date:
I need to create a constraint on a column of a table such that it's value is found in another table but may not be unique in that other table.  Example...

Let's say the DB is about students and the grades they got for 4 subjects... Math, English, Science, History.  But instead of creating 4 records in the "grades" table for every record in the "students" table, I storing each unique combination of grades in the "grades" table, those records tied together with a common "id" field...

grade_id   subject      grade
1          math         A
1          english      A
1          science      A
1          history      A
2          math         B
2          english      A
2          science      C
2          history      B

etc...  Each unique combination of the 4 subject/grades gets a new "id" and those 4 records are written to the grates table.

Now, in the "students" table I have a "grad_id" column which points to the set of grades for that student.  The "grade_id" value in the "students" table must also exist in the "grades" table.  But the grade_id value is pointing to 4, not 1 record in the "grades" table.  And "grade_id" in the "grades" table can't (obviously) be a PK.

There are no primary keys in this scenario so I don't think I can set up a traditional primary-foreign key relationship.

I could do this with a check constraint.  But I want the ER view in the DBeaver tool to recognize the constraint and depict it.

I suppose I could create a bridge table between the "students" and "grades" table which has only the "grades_id" column as a primary key, and then set up 2 traditional primary/foreign key constraints (one between this new table and "grades", and the other between this new table and "students").  But it's kinda unnecessary and am looking for something more direct, without the bridge.

Any ideas ?
psql (9.6.7, server 9.5.2) on linux

Re: Need a referential constraint to a non-unique record

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date:
I need to create a constraint on a column of a table such that it's value is found in another table but may not be unique in that other table.  Example...

This requires a trigger

[...]

IMO this is a poorly chosen model.  If you think this is a good idea you should go ahead and represent the subjects as columns and have a single row.

There are no primary keys in this scenario so I don't think I can set up a traditional primary-foreign key relationship.

Correct
I could do this with a check constraint.

No, a check constraint will not work.

  But I want the ER view in the DBeaver tool to recognize the constraint and depict it.

Which requires PK/FK semantics

I suppose I could create a bridge table between the "students" and "grades" table which has only the "grades_id" column as a primary key, and then set up 2 traditional primary/foreign key constraints (one between this new table and "grades", and the other between this new table and "students").

But it's kinda unnecessary and am looking for something more direct, without the bridge.

Store (student, subject, grade) ...

Any ideas ?

You seem to understand the options that are open to you just fine.  If neither are agreeable then maybe the problem is a poor choice of model.
psql (9.6.7, server 9.5.2) on linux

You may wish to consider upgrading your client and server software

David J.

Re: Need a referential constraint to a non-unique record

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 6/25/19 2:58 PM, David Gauthier wrote:
> I need to create a constraint on a column of a table such that it's
> value is found in another table but may not be unique in that other
> table.  Example...
>
> Let's say the DB is about students and the grades they got for 4
> subjects... Math, English, Science, History.  But instead of creating 4
> records in the "grades" table for every record in the "students" table,

But you are.

> I storing each unique combination of grades in the "grades" table, those
> records tied together with a common "id" field...
>
> grade_id   subject      grade
> 1          math         A
> 1          english      A
> 1          science      A
> 1          history      A
> 2          math         B
> 2          english      A
> 2          science      C
> 2          history      B
>
> etc...  Each unique combination of the 4 subject/grades gets a new "id"
> and those 4 records are written to the grates table.

Why not?:

grade_id student_id   subject      grade
1       1          math         A
2          1          english      A
3          1          science      A
4          1          history      A
5          2          math         B
6          2          english      A
7          2          science      C
8          2          history      B

Where grade_id is the PK and student_id is FK to students

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Need a referential constraint to a non-unique record

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 6/26/19 7:28 AM, David Gauthier wrote:
Ccing list.

> Actually, I'm not storing 4 records in the 'grades' table for each
> record in the 'students' table.  For example, if student Joe gets
> straight A's, he points to grades.grade_id = 1.  If student Sue also
> gets straight A's, she points to grades.grade_id = 1.  I'm reusing the
> set of records in "grades" for >1 student.  It's not a situation where
> there's a "student_id" field in the "grades" table which points to a
> "student_id" (PK) field in the "students" table with a FK relationship.
>
> This simplistic example is not what's going on in my real application
> where the equivalent of the "grades" table has hundreds of records and
> there are thousands of "students".  I don't want to have to duplicate
> the set of "grades" records over and over again if an existing set can
> be "reused".

Hmm.

1) So each 'student' has to take all the 'subjects'?
If not then what happens?

2) You have to pre-plan all the possible combinations.
What happens if a 'subject' is added/deleted?

3) Your app has to 'know' what id points to what combination.

I see the above as resistant to change and fragile and as you already
have determined hard to model. I'm thinking a more traditional layout
will be better over the long run.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com