Need help pg backup & recovery

From
"Srikar Vankadaru"

Hello Folks,

Need help in PG backup & PIT recovery. We have setup PG server with following filesystem layout:

PG Revision – 11.2

Filesystem Layout:

Data - /pgdata

Tablespaces - /pgtablespaces

Indexes - /pgindexes

Now I setup up full backup using pgdump and WAL logs (for PITR).

During the recovery will the pgdump recovers /pgtablespaces and /pgindexes as well ?

I want to understand how to take backup in this scenario so I should be able to do a full PITR.

Thanks,

Srikar

Re: Need help pg backup & recovery

From
Lætitia Avrot

Now I setup up full backup using pgdump and WAL logs (for PITR).

During the recovery will the pgdump recovers /pgtablespaces and /pgindexes as well ?

I want to understand how to take backup in this scenario so I should be able to do a full PITR.

Hi,

pg_dump is a logical backup. You can't apply WAL on top of it. You can't PITR out of a logical dump. To do that, you need a physical backup (look at pg_basebackup, pg_barman, pg_backrest or pg_probackup) to be able to apply WALs. You'll find more informations in [that](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/backup.html) documentation page

Have a nice day,

Lætitia

--
Paper doesn’t grow on trees. Please print responsibly.

RE: Need help pg backup & recovery

From
"Srikar Vankadaru"

Thanks Lætitia,

When I setup the physical backup with one of the tools you specified, will that recover the /pgindexes & /pgtablespaces ?

Thanks,

Srikar

Now I setup up full backup using pgdump and WAL logs (for PITR).

During the recovery will the pgdump recovers /pgtablespaces and /pgindexes as well ?

I want to understand how to take backup in this scenario so I should be able to do a full PITR.

Hi,

pg_dump is a logical backup. You can't apply WAL on top of it. You can't PITR out of a logical dump. To do that, you need a physical backup (look at pg_basebackup, pg_barman, pg_backrest or pg_probackup) to be able to apply WALs. You'll find more informations in [that](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/backup.html) documentation page

Have a nice day,

Lætitia

--

Paper doesn’t grow on trees. Please print responsibly.

Re: Need help pg backup & recovery

From
Andreas Kretschmer

Am 10.06.19 um 12:29 schrieb Srikar Vankadaru:
> When I setup the physical backup with one of the tools you specified,
> will that recover the /pgindexes & /pgtablespaces ?

yeah, but please read the documentation first. The Barman-docu contains
a chapter about Tablespace remapping.

Regards, Andreas

--
2ndQuadrant - The PostgreSQL Support Company.
www.2ndQuadrant.com