Plpythonu extension

From
Vincent Predoehl
Date:
hi

I have PostgreSQL 11.1 installed on MacOS X Mojave and I used brew to do the install.  It appears that the extension
plpythonwas not included in the default installation and I would like to know how to install it.

Thanks…

Re: Plpythonu extension

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 2/20/19 6:46 AM, Vincent Predoehl wrote:
> hi
>
> I have PostgreSQL 11.1 installed on MacOS X Mojave and I used brew to do the install.  It appears that the extension
plpythonwas not included in the default installation and I would like to know how to install it.

All I can find is:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38062512/install-plpython-on-mac-with-python-2-7

Not sure how helpful that is. Though it does seem to be an option here:

https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/postgresql

postgresql --with-python

Otherwise you might try the Homebrew forum:

https://discourse.brew.sh/latest

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Plpythonu extension

From
Vincent Predoehl
Date:
Ok, thanks guys.  I already tried:

brew install postgres --with-python

With no success…

Date:
On 2/20/19 8:06 AM, Vincent Predoehl wrote:
> Ok, thanks guys.  I already tried:
>
> brew install postgres --with-python
>
> With no success…

See Peters post and it's link to:

https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/36074

Seems options are no longer allowed in Homebrew.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Plpythonu extension

From
Anthony DeBarros
Date:
Consider using Postgres.app instead?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Plpythonu extension

From
Vincent Predoehl

On Feb 20, 2019, at 10:13 AM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

On 2/20/19 8:06 AM, Vincent Predoehl wrote:
Ok, thanks guys.  I already tried:
brew install postgres --with-python
With no success…

See Peters post and it's link to:

https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/pull/36074

Seems options are no longer allowed in Homebrew.

I agree.  It appears most of the solutions I have been trying will no longer work.

From Adrian’s post:

All I can find is:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38062512/install-plpython-on-mac-with-python-2-7

Not sure how helpful that is. Though it does seem to be an option here:

https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/postgresql

postgresql --with-python

I am not really sure how the Brew system works, but it appears it is possible to request a fork or branch from the main project that will have the —with-python option enabled by default.  All I’m trying to do is learn PostgreSQL.  Can somebody just “tell” me how to get postgresql installed with python?  I am quickly getting in over my head.

Date:
On 2/20/19 2:28 PM, Vincent Predoehl wrote:

> postgresql --with-python/
>
> I am not really sure how the Brew system works, but it appears it is
> possible to request a fork or branch from the main project that will
> have the —with-python option enabled by default.  All I’m trying to do
> is learn PostgreSQL.  Can somebody just “tell” me how to get postgresql
> installed with python?  I am quickly getting in over my head.

Per a previous suggestion from Anthony:

Postgres.app
https://postgresapp.com/

Or from Peter's post:

https://github.com/petere/homebrew-postgresql

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Plpythonu extension

From
Vincent Predoehl

On Feb 20, 2019, at 6:26 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

On 2/20/19 2:28 PM, Vincent Predoehl wrote:

postgresql --with-python/
I am not really sure how the Brew system works, but it appears it is possible to request a fork or branch from the main project that will have the —with-python option enabled by default.  All I’m trying to do is learn PostgreSQL.  Can somebody just “tell” me how to get postgresql installed with python?  I am quickly getting in over my head.

Per a previous suggestion from Anthony:

Postgres.app
https://postgresapp.com/

Or from Peter's post:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I tried Peter’s post and there were clear instructions.  However, the default install still did not include plpythonu.  This is what I did:

 brew tap petere/postgresql

Then

brew install petere/postgresql --with-python

Which failed with invalid option —with-python.

Also tried

brew install petere/postgresql

Without any options.  It installed, but without the plpythonu extension.

I ran brew uninstall postgresql before trying any install command, of course.

I browsed the repo file postgresql@11.rb and the script did include the —with-python option, but I don’t know enough about Brew to understand why it didn’t work or if the script was actually used for the installation.

Re: Plpythonu extension

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 2/20/19 6:49 PM, Vincent Predoehl wrote:

>> On Feb 20, 2019, at 6:26 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>> <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On 2/20/19 2:28 PM, Vincent Predoehl wrote:
>>
>>> postgresql --with-python/
>>> I am not really sure how the Brew system works, but it appears it is
>>> possible to request a fork or branch from the main project that will
>>> have the —with-python option enabled by default.  All I’m trying to
>>> do is learn PostgreSQL.  Can somebody just “tell” me how to get
>>> postgresql installed with python?  I am quickly getting in over my head.
>>
>> Per a previous suggestion from Anthony:
>>
>> Postgres.app
>> https://postgresapp.com/
>>
>> Or from Peter's post:
>>
>> https://github.com/petere/homebrew-postgresql
>

> Sorry, I forgot to mention that I tried Peter’s post and there were
> clear instructions.  However, the default install still did not include
> plpythonu.  This is what I did:
>
> **brew tap petere/postgresql
>
> Then
>
> brew install petere/postgresql --with-python

I am not a Mac user and therefore do not use Homebrew, so take the below
with that in mind. Have you tried?:

brew install petere/postgresql/postgresql@11 --with-python

On Feb 20, 2019, at 11:12 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

I am not a Mac user and therefore do not use Homebrew, so take the below with that in mind. Have you tried?:

brew install petere/postgresql/postgresql@11 --with-python

Great idea!!  It works.

This didn’t work:

brew install petere/postgresql/postgresql@11 --with-python

Probably because options are no longer permitted - but this did:

brew install petere/postgresql/postgresql@11

Since the —with-python option was part of the script, the plpythonu extension is available in the server.