BUG #15626: Incorrect version number shown in BigSQL installation

From
PG Bug reporting form
Date:

Bug reference:      15626
Logged by:          Guy Rouillier
Email address:      guy.rouillier@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 10.6
Operating system:   Windows 7 64-bit

I just did a fresh download and install using the BigSQL installer for 10.6.
 I had previously been running version 10.3, also the BigSQL version.  The
new version would not install over the existing installation, so I
uninstalled 10.3 first.

During installation, the Setup dialog showed the following:

You are about to install PostreSQL (10.6-1).  Please review the following:

Installation Directory: D:\PostgreSQL

PostgreSQL 10.5-1 will be configured on port: 5432

.... (some additional messages.

After the installation completed, I see the following in the Start menu
under PostgreSQL:

Start PostgreSQL 10.5-1
Stop PostgreSQL 10.5-1
Docs
   PostgreSQL docs (10.5-1)
   PostgreSQL release notes (10.5-1)

Finally, in the Control Panel, under Programs and Features, PostPostgreSQL
is listed with version 10.5-1

Withing pgAdmin 4, "select version()" produces "PostgreSQL 10.6 on
x86_64-pc-mingw64, compiled by gcc.exe (Rev5, Built by MSYS2 project) 4.9.2,
64-bit"

Re: BUG #15626: Incorrect version number shown in BigSQL installation

From
Pavlo Golub
Date:
Greetings, PG.

You wrote 10.02.2019, 9:10:

> Bug reference:      15626
> Logged by:          Guy Rouillier
> Email address:      guy.rouillier@gmail.com
> PostgreSQL version: 10.6
> Operating system:   Windows 7 64-bit

> I just did a fresh download and install using the BigSQL installer for 10.6.
>  I had previously been running version 10.3, also the BigSQL version.  The
> new version would not install over the existing installation, so I
> uninstalled 10.3 first.

You should contact with BigSQL support directly. This is the public
list for the community and we have no ability to help you with custom
installation packages.

--
Kind regards,
 Pavlo                          mailto:pavlo.golub@cybertec.at

Re[2]: BUG #15626: Incorrect version number shown in BigSQL installation

From
"Guy Rouillier"
I just did a fresh download and install using the BigSQL installer for 10.6.
I had previously been running version 10.3, also the BigSQL version. The
new version would not install over the existing installation, so I
uninstalled 10.3 first.

You should contact with BigSQL support directly. This is the public
list for the community and we have no ability to help you with custom
installation packages.

Ok, I found a Google Group that appears to be appropriate. I repeated this same submission over there:

I appreciate that you identified for me that this bug list was not the appropriate place to submit bugs in the installers. Ideally, we'd make it easier for people to submit bugs for whatever component is involved. I've used PostgreSQL for about 15 years, so I had the motivation to find the more appropriate place to repeat this bug. But I imagine most people with busy lives, after having submitted a bug report one place, would just forget about it if told to find and submit the same bug somewhere else. At the very least, the PostgreSQL site should provide links for where to report bugs for third-party components. Expecting individuals to search for it themselves is asking quite a bit.

Re: Re[2]: BUG #15626: Incorrect version number shown in BigSQL installation

From
Francisco Olarte
Date:
On Wed, Feb 13, 2019 at 6:00 AM Guy Rouillier <guy.rouillier@gmail.com> wrote:
> At the very least, the PostgreSQL site should provide links for where to report bugs for third-party components.
Expectingindividuals to search for it themselves is asking quite a bit.

BigSql is not a postgresql 3rd party component.  They use postgres. So
postgres has no control on what they do.

Bigsql can, and probably does, report it uses postgres and direct you
here for bugs related to it, like "I've found this sql misbehaves,
using bigsql v xx", but not the other way.

Francisco Olarte.

Re[4]: BUG #15626: Incorrect version number shown in BigSQL installation

From
"Guy Rouillier"
Date:
Thank you for the reply, but I'm not understanding this "not our problem" response I've now received twice.  I went to the Downloads page for Windows on the official PostgreSQL site:

I elected to use the second installer listed on this page: "Graphical installer by BigSQL".  From the presentation on that page, it appears that these two installers are the recommended method for installing PG.  Nowhere on that page does it say "here are two available installers - we don't really know anything about them, and don't endorse them, but hey, if they work for you, great".  If the PostgreSQL site is going to list any software packages, then there should be some minimal level of help with them, perhaps simple links on where to obtain further help and report bugs.

I found a Google Group where BigSQL issues are discussed:

I've posted this same issue over there.  Thanks.

--
Guy Rouillier

At the very least, the PostgreSQL site should provide links for where to report bugs for third-party components. Expecting individuals to search for it themselves is asking quite a bit.

BigSql is not a postgresql 3rd party component. They use postgres. So
postgres has no control on what they do.

Bigsql can, and probably does, report it uses postgres and direct you
here for bugs related to it, like "I've found this sql misbehaves,
using bigsql v xx", but not the other way.

Francisco Olarte.

Re: Re[4]: BUG #15626: Incorrect version number shown in BigSQL installation

From
Thomas Munro
Date:
On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 3:08 PM Guy Rouillier <guy.rouillier@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the reply, but I'm not understanding this "not our problem" response I've now received twice.  I went to the Downloads page for Windows on the official PostgreSQL site:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/download/windows/
>
> I elected to use the second installer listed on this page: "Graphical installer by BigSQL".  From the presentation on that page, it appears that these two installers are the recommended method for installing PG.  Nowhere on that page does it say "here are two available installers - we don't really know anything about them, and don't endorse them, but hey, if they work for you, great".  If the PostgreSQL site is going to list any software packages, then there should be some minimal level of help with them, perhaps simple links on where to obtain further help and report bugs.

It's a fair point, and there is a plan afoot to consider adding directions to associated projects like that (PgAdmin, JDBC, ...) to our bug reporting page.  This was discussed at the FOSDEM PostgreSQL developer meeting a couple of weeks ago, and I hope it comes to fruition because it'd be a better experience for everyone.

Re: Re[4]: BUG #15626: Incorrect version number shown in BigSQL installation

From
Francisco Olarte
Guy:

On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 3:07 AM Guy Rouillier <guy.rouillier@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for the reply, but I'm not understanding this "not our problem" response I've now received twice.  I went
tothe Downloads page for Windows on the official PostgreSQL site:

Although your top-posting style confounds me a bit, it seems my
previous mail leads in part to this.

I apologize. Not having used windows for more than 15 years I check
the windows related pages sparsely, and thought the only installer
pointed was the one from enterprise db. Whether my posting was correct
or not, I should have just ignored your post or rechecked the pages
the moment I saw "windows" in it. Please, ignore my whole message.

Also, I was not trying to state "not our problem", and, in case you
may be including the postgres developers/website maintainers in "our"
I DO NOT represent them, and my posting and opinions are just my own.
I just try to help clearing a bit some bug reports, and it seems I did
fail here, I will try to avoid it in the future.

Francisco Olarte.

Re: BUG #15626: Incorrect version number shown in BigSQL installation

From
Pavlo Golub
Date:
Greetings, Guy.

You wrote 14.02.2019, 4:07:

> Thank you for the reply, but I'm not understanding this "not our
> problem" response I've now received twice.

I'm very sorry if my message seemed to be rude. That's not what I
meant. The same answer usually goes to bug reports about EDB
installer, pgAdmin etc. My only idea was, this is not the right place
to bug report. Meaning, you will not find appropriate help here. And
you probably noticed this, because your message was unanswered for
several days.

Yes, I'm aware that BigSQL listed on download page and I even used it
several times.