Recommended ./configure flags for Ubuntu install?

From
Stephen Froehlich

I am compiling PG11 because I need SSL and LDAP support for security rules.  However, after compilation, I can’t find any default config files.  Are there particular directory flags to ./configure that are recommended for Ubuntu?

Should I install the library from the distribution and then recompile on top of that?

Thanks,

Stephen

Stephen Froehlich
Sr. Strategist, CableLabs®

s.froehlich@cablelabs.com

Tel: +1 (303) 661-3708

Re: Recommended ./configure flags for Ubuntu install?

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

* Stephen Froehlich (s.froehlich@cablelabs.com) wrote:
> I am compiling PG11 because I need SSL and LDAP support for security rules.  However, after compilation, I can't find
anydefault config files.  Are there particular directory flags to ./configure that are recommended for Ubuntu?

This doesn't make much sense- the packages in Ubuntu and from
apt.postgresql.org are compiled with SSL and LDAP support.

If you were to ask me how to configure PG for Ubuntu, I'd suggest you
look at how the packages that are built for Ubuntu are configured.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment

RE: Recommended ./configure flags for Ubuntu install?

From
Stephen Froehlich
Date:
Hi Stephen ... that is indeed a better question ... where is the information on how PostgreSQL for Ubuntu is built?

--Stephen

> I am compiling PG11 because I need SSL and LDAP support for security rules.  However, after compilation, I can't find
anydefault config files.  Are there particular directory flags to ./configure that are recommended for Ubuntu?

This doesn't make much sense- the packages in Ubuntu and from apt.postgresql.org are compiled with SSL and LDAP
support.

If you were to ask me how to configure PG for Ubuntu, I'd suggest you look at how the packages that are built for
Ubuntuare configured.

Thanks!

Stephen

Re: Recommended ./configure flags for Ubuntu install?

From
Bzzzz
Date:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 13:05:48 +0000
Stephen Froehlich <s.froehlich@cablelabs.com> wrote:

gogol: debian packages how see which compilation options
https://askubuntu.com/questions/48499/where-can-i-find-the-configure-options-used-to-build-a-package

…

> Hi Stephen ... that is indeed a better question ... where is the
> information on how PostgreSQL for Ubuntu is built?

Re: Recommended ./configure flags for Ubuntu install?

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi,

On Tue, 2019-01-29 at 21:54 +0000, Stephen Froehlich wrote:
> However, after compilation, I can't find any default config files

I assume you did not initdb yet? Config files are created after running initdb.

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: Recommended ./configure flags for Ubuntu install?

From
Devrim Gündüz
Date:
Hi,

On Wed, 2019-01-30 at 13:05 +0000, Stephen Froehlich wrote:
> Hi Stephen ... that is indeed a better question ... where is the information
> on how PostgreSQL for Ubuntu is built?

As he pointed, please use the community packages. Visit
https://apt.postgresql.org for more info.

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

RE: Recommended ./configure flags for Ubuntu install?

From
Stephen Froehlich
Date:
I have to be honest, I am having trouble getting from these links to any understanding of the how the PostgreSQL
packageis built for Ubuntu by default, and of course the overall PostgreSQL documentation implies that you need certain
flagsat compile time to enable these features.

--Stephen

On Wed, 2019-01-30 at 13:05 +0000, Stephen Froehlich wrote:
> Hi Stephen ... that is indeed a better question ... where is the
> information on how PostgreSQL for Ubuntu is built?

As he pointed, please use the community packages. Visit https://apt.postgresql.org for more info.

Devrim Gündüz
Open Source Solution Architect, Red Hat Certified Engineer

Re: Recommended ./configure flags for Ubuntu install?

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2019-Jan-30, Stephen Froehlich wrote:

> I have to be honest, I am having trouble getting from these links to
> any understanding of the how the PostgreSQL package is built for
> Ubuntu by default, and of course the overall PostgreSQL documentation
> implies that you need certain flags at compile time to enable these
> features.

Why do you care? The packages already support both LDAP and SSL, so you
don't need to recompile anything.

If you really want to see the configure flags that were used, run
  pg_config --configure

Re: Recommended ./configure flags for Ubuntu install?

From
Bzzzz
Date:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 19:25:27 +0000
Stephen Froehlich <s.froehlich@cablelabs.com> wrote:

As Alvaro told you, what you want is systematically compiled in,
I did not saw any distro not adding what is the basic in security matter.

As a matter of fact, at least in Debian, all STABLE options are always
activated ; this can of course differ in Ubuntu, as they think they're
wiser than Debian maintainers…

Rule of thumbs: if "it" is not in, there's a catch (and usually
a frigging big one.)

> I have to be honest, I am having trouble getting from these links to
> any understanding of the how the PostgreSQL package is built for
> Ubuntu by default, and of course the overall PostgreSQL documentation
> implies that you need certain flags at compile time to enable these
> features.

RE: Recommended ./configure flags for Ubuntu install?

From
Stephen Froehlich
Date:
That's really the answer I was looking for, thanks.