Is it impolite to dump a message

From
Thiemo Kellner
Date:
Hi all

I posted a question and did not get a reaction. Now I wonder whether
no one took interest (no offence meant) no one has an answer or
whether the point in time I posted was just rubbish. In the latter
case I would be inclined to dump/repost my question but only if this
was not impolite. Is there a policy?

Kind regards

Thiemo
--
Signal: +49 1578 7723737
Handys: +41 78 947 36 21 | +49 1578 772 37 37

Re: Is it impolite to dump a message

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

* Thiemo Kellner (thiemo@gelassene-pferde.biz) wrote:
> I posted a question and did not get a reaction. Now I wonder whether no one
> took interest (no offence meant) no one has an answer or whether the point
> in time I posted was just rubbish. In the latter case I would be inclined to
> dump/repost my question but only if this was not impolite. Is there a
> policy?

The most that can really be drawn is "no one responded".  I wouldn't
read more into it than that- any of the above are possible and it's most
likely some combination of those and other factors across the various
people on the list.

The way to address that, in my view at least, would be to respond to the
email you sent to the list, after waiting a while- don't bombard the
list, but after a week is probably alright.  In that response, ideally,
you'd include what updates you have, things you've done to try and
figure out the answer yourself, etc.

Ultimately, though, these lists are essentially all monitored and
responded to on a volunteer basis and your question may continue to go
unanswered indefinitely.  If you'd like a higher level of service, then
there are support companies available for PostgreSQL who are happy to
provide it.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment

Re: Is it impolite to dump a message

From
Ron
Date:
On 1/6/19 9:33 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> * Thiemo Kellner (thiemo@gelassene-pferde.biz) wrote:
>> I posted a question and did not get a reaction. Now I wonder whether no one
>> took interest (no offence meant) no one has an answer or whether the point
>> in time I posted was just rubbish. In the latter case I would be inclined to
>> dump/repost my question but only if this was not impolite. Is there a
>> policy?
> The most that can really be drawn is "no one responded".  I wouldn't
> read more into it than that- any of the above are possible and it's most
> likely some combination of those and other factors across the various
> people on the list.

Especially posts that were sent on Christmas morning.