WAL on zfs Settings

From
Stephen Froehlich

I am rebuilding my database server, and one of the novice mistakes I made the first time around is not creating distinct zfs filesystems for different tablespaces and of course the WAL. The database is for analysis work, which often means large data load-ins.  (Backups are purely occasional pg_dumps.)

My question is what are the optimal zfs settings for the WAL filesystem (block size, who does compression, etc.)?  The underlying hardware will be 3 NVME SSDs in a raidz configuration.  (I do already know that I can turn off full_page_writes for WAL on zfs.)

Thanks,

Stephen

Stephen Froehlich
Sr. Strategist, CableLabs®

s.froehlich@cablelabs.com

Tel: +1 (303) 661-3708

Re: WAL on zfs Settings

From
Adam Jensen
Date:
Hi, Stephen.

I also use PostgreSQL with a ZFS filesystem (FreeBSD). Will you describe
your ZFS setup and the relevant parts of your postgresql.conf?

On 1/4/19 8:24 AM, Stephen Froehlich wrote:
> I am rebuilding my database server, and one of the novice mistakes I
> made the first time around is not creating distinct zfs filesystems for
> different tablespaces and of course the WAL. The database is for
> analysis work, which often means large data load-ins.  (Backups are
> purely occasional pg_dumps.)
>

> My question is what are the optimal zfs settings for the WAL filesystem
> (block size, who does compression, etc.)?  The underlying hardware will
> be 3 NVME SSDs in a raidz configuration.  (I do already know that I can
> turn off full_page_writes for WAL on zfs.)
>

> Thanks,
>
> Stephen

> Stephen Froehlich
> Sr. Strategist, *Cable*Labs^® ^
>

> s.froehlich@cablelabs.com <mailto:s.froehlich@cablelabs.com>
>
> Tel: +1 (303) 661-3708

RE: WAL on zfs Settings

From
Stephen Froehlich
Date:
Hi Adam,

Sorry this got sent to my Spam folder and I just happened to check it this morning.

Start with this slide deck ... https://www.slideshare.net/SeanChittenden/postgresql-zfs-best-practices

Sean advocates small block sizes and turning off all error checking in the database, but I don't expect you to re-init
yourdatabase to make the latter happen.  For a typical database workload with lots of small writes, having
"recordsize=16K"for the zfs volume in question might be quite helpful.  For my application, I have found that it
doesn'thelp much, nor does it hurt other than it hinders compression some.

The big helper you can do now is that you can safely set "full_page_writes = off" & "wal_compression = off" for the WAL
(usuallyabout a 30-50% bump in write speed) as ZFS's copy-on-write scheme makes corruption impossible, and lz4 is
betterthan what Postgres uses internally.

The other big helper is having a nice, fast ZIL SLOG.

--Stephen

I also use PostgreSQL with a ZFS filesystem (FreeBSD). Will you describe your ZFS setup and the relevant parts of your
postgresql.conf?

On 1/4/19 8:24 AM, Stephen Froehlich wrote:
> I am rebuilding my database server, and one of the novice mistakes I
> made the first time around is not creating distinct zfs filesystems
> for different tablespaces and of course the WAL. The database is for
> analysis work, which often means large data load-ins.  (Backups are
> purely occasional pg_dumps.)
>

> My question is what are the optimal zfs settings for the WAL
> filesystem (block size, who does compression, etc.)?  The underlying
> hardware will be 3 NVME SSDs in a raidz configuration.  (I do already
> know that I can turn off full_page_writes for WAL on zfs.)
>

> Thanks,
>
> Stephen

> Stephen Froehlich
> Sr. Strategist, *Cable*Labs^® ^
>

> s.froehlich@cablelabs.com <mailto:s.froehlich@cablelabs.com>
>
> Tel: +1 (303) 661-3708

Re: WAL on zfs Settings

From
Laurent Asorne
Date:
How do I get out of this list?

Avec mes meilleures salutations / Bescht Gréiss / Mit freundlichen Grüssen /  Kind regards

Laurent Asorne
Agence Immobilière Abby TOUSSAINT
32 81 73 41
laurent@confiance.lu
www.confiance.lu

> On 12 Feb 2019, at 17:39, Stephen Froehlich <s.froehlich@cablelabs.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Adam,
>
> Sorry this got sent to my Spam folder and I just happened to check it this morning.
>
> Start with this slide deck ... https://www.slideshare.net/SeanChittenden/postgresql-zfs-best-practices
>
> Sean advocates small block sizes and turning off all error checking in the database, but I don't expect you to
re-inityour database to make the latter happen.  For a typical database workload with lots of small writes, having
"recordsize=16K"for the zfs volume in question might be quite helpful.  For my application, I have found that it
doesn'thelp much, nor does it hurt other than it hinders compression some.

> The big helper you can do now is that you can safely set "full_page_writes = off" & "wal_compression = off" for the
WAL(usually about a 30-50% bump in write speed) as ZFS's copy-on-write scheme makes corruption impossible, and lz4 is
betterthan what Postgres uses internally.

> The other big helper is having a nice, fast ZIL SLOG.
>
> --Stephen

Re: WAL on zfs Settings

From
Bzzzz
Date:
On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 00:03:11 +0100
Laurent Asorne <laurent.asorne@gmail.com> wrote:

1)- Ne cross-postez JAMAIS sur une ML - vous comprendrez lorsque vous
    rechercherez des informations cruciales sur une autre ML et que vous
    tomberez sur "du bruit" plus qu'agaçant, surtout quand on est pressé
    - la prochaine fois, envoyez juste un e-mail à l'adresse de la ML, en
    l'occurrence : pgsql-novice@lists.postgresql.org,

2)- pour rompre l'abonnement, vous-avez besoin de son premier e-mail,
    celui qui indique que votre souscription est effective - message
    contenant d'ailleurs la phrase : "For that reason, among others, it
    is important that you keep a copy of this message." Dedans est
    indiqué un code non-dépendant de votre adresse e-mail, mais
    lié à votre souscription et permettant le désabonnement,

3)- muni de ce code, envoyez un e-mail comprenant la ligne suivante dans
    le corps du message :

    approve CODE_REÇU unsubscribe pgsql-novice VOTRE_ADRESSE_E-MAIL

    à cette adresse : majordomo@postgresql.org

    en respectant majuscules/minuscules du code en question.

Jean-Yves

> How do I get out of this list?

Re: WAL on zfs Settings

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
Greetings,

This individual has already been unsubscribed.

Please don't respond to unsubscribe requests- I handle them when I see
them and if you want to be helpful then forward them to myself or to the
-owner address and let us handle them, don't reply to the list about
them.

Thanks!

Stephen

* Bzzzz (lazyvirus@gmx.com) wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 00:03:11 +0100
> Laurent Asorne <laurent.asorne@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 1)- Ne cross-postez JAMAIS sur une ML - vous comprendrez lorsque vous
>     rechercherez des informations cruciales sur une autre ML et que vous
>     tomberez sur "du bruit" plus qu'agaçant, surtout quand on est pressé
>     - la prochaine fois, envoyez juste un e-mail à l'adresse de la ML, en
>     l'occurrence : pgsql-novice@lists.postgresql.org,
>
> 2)- pour rompre l'abonnement, vous-avez besoin de son premier e-mail,
>     celui qui indique que votre souscription est effective - message
>     contenant d'ailleurs la phrase : "For that reason, among others, it
>     is important that you keep a copy of this message." Dedans est
>     indiqué un code non-dépendant de votre adresse e-mail, mais
>     lié à votre souscription et permettant le désabonnement,
>
> 3)- muni de ce code, envoyez un e-mail comprenant la ligne suivante dans
>     le corps du message :
>
>     approve CODE_REÇU unsubscribe pgsql-novice VOTRE_ADRESSE_E-MAIL
>
>     à cette adresse : majordomo@postgresql.org
>
>     en respectant majuscules/minuscules du code en question.
>
> Jean-Yves
>
> > How do I get out of this list?

Attachment