Relocatable Binaries (RPMs) : custom installation path for PostgreSQL

From
chiru r
Date:
Hi All,

I wanted to install the PostgreSQL-11 Software with Custom installation/binary paths.

Currently I am using EDB one click installer software with option file like below to achieve, However EDB stopped and no longer provides one click installer for Linux.

Example:

PostgreSQL install software file : postgresql-9.6.9-1-linux-x64.run

 cat Optionsfile.txt

mode=unattended

datadir=/u02/pgdata01/9.6/data

serverport=5432

prefix=/u01/postgres/9.6

I have installed Community  PostgreSQL RPMs and are going into " /usr/pgsql-11/" by default.

#-> pwd

/usr/pgsql-11

[root@user:/usr/pgsql-11]#

#-> ls -l

total 16

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 21 13:49 bin

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 21 13:49 doc

drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 21 13:49 lib

drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Dec 21 13:49 share

Please let us know how to get the PostgreSQL-11 installed in above custom paths using RPMs? .

Thanks,

Chiranjeevi

Re: Relocatable Binaries (RPMs) : custom installation path forPostgreSQL

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 12/31/18 8:19 AM, chiru r wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wanted to install the PostgreSQL-11 Software with Custom
> installation/binary paths.
>
> Currently I am using EDB one click installer software with option file
> like below to achieve, However EDB stopped and no longer provides one
> click installer for Linux.
>
> *Example:*
>
> PostgreSQL install software file : *postgresql-9.6.9-1-linux-x64.run*
>
> *cat Optionsfile.txt*
>
> mode=unattended
>
> datadir=/u02/pgdata01/9.6/data
>
> serverport=5432
>
> prefix=/u01/postgres/9.6
>
> I have installed CommunityPostgreSQL RPMs and are going into
> "/usr/pgsql-11/" by default.
>

> #-> pwd
>
> /usr/pgsql-11
>
> [root@user:/usr/pgsql-11]#
>
> #-> ls -l
>
> total 16
>
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 21 13:49 bin
>
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 21 13:49 doc
>
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 21 13:49 lib
>
> drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Dec 21 13:49 share
>

> Please let us know how to get the PostgreSQL-11 installed in above
> custom paths using RPMs? .

I would try contacting the packagers via:

https://yum.postgresql.org/contact.php

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Re: Relocatable Binaries (RPMs) : custom installation path forPostgreSQL

From
Brent Wood
Date:
Have you considered symlinking the default paths to where you want it to reside?

That approach would allow updates & upgrades to work as they expect, without changing default paths or config files.

Much as described here:

Cheers,

  Brent Wood

On 12/31/18 8:19 AM, chiru r wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I wanted to install the PostgreSQL-11 Software with Custom
> installation/binary paths.
>
> Currently I am using EDB one click installer software with option file
> like below to achieve, However EDB stopped and no longer provides one
> click installer for Linux.
>
> *Example:*
>
> PostgreSQL install software file : *postgresql-9.6.9-1-linux-x64.run*
>
> *cat Optionsfile.txt*
> mode=unattended
> datadir=/u02/pgdata01/9.6/data
> serverport=5432
> prefix=/u01/postgres/9.6
> I have installed CommunityPostgreSQL RPMs and are going into
> "/usr/pgsql-11/" by default.
>

> #-> pwd
> /usr/pgsql-11
>
> [root@user:/usr/pgsql-11]#
>
> #-> ls -l
> total 16
>
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 21 13:49 bin
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 21 13:49 doc
> drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 21 13:49 lib
> drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 Dec 21 13:49 share
>
> Please let us know how to get the PostgreSQL-11 installed in above
> custom paths using RPMs? .
>

> Thanks,
>
> Chiranjeevi

RE: Relocatable Binaries (RPMs) : custom installation path forPostgreSQL

From
Kevin Brannen
From: chiru r <chirupg@gmail.com>

> I have installed Community  PostgreSQL RPMs and are going into " /usr/pgsql-11/" by default.
> Please let us know how to get the PostgreSQL-11 installed in above custom paths using RPMs? .

I've never tried it, but look at the "--relocate" option for the rpm command. The "--prefix" option might do it too,
butI think "--relocate" is what you need.

HTH,
Kevin

This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential
information.If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient,
youare hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, review, copy or use of any of the information contained in or
attachedto this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately
notifyus by reply e-mail, and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them
todisk. Thank you.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the responce.

I have tried to intall the RPMs with -relocate option,however it is not working as expected and throwing below error.

[root@Server1dev:/root/PG11]#
#-> rpm -ivh --relocate /usr/pgsql-11/=/u01/postgres/pg11_relocate/ postgresql11-server-11.1-1PGDG.rhel7.x86_64.rpm
warning: postgresql11-server-11.1-1PGDG.rhel7.x86_64.rpm: Header V4 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 442df0f8: NOKEY
Preparing...                          ################################# [100%]
        path /usr/pgsql-11 in package postgresql11-server-11.1-1PGDG.rhel7.x86_64 is not relocatable
[root@server1dev:/root/PG11]#

Thanks,
Chiranjeevi

From: chiru r <chirupg@gmail.com>

From: chiru r <chirupg@gmail.com>

> I have tried to intall the RPMs with -relocate option,however it is not working as expected and throwing below
error.

> [root@Server1dev:/root/PG11]#
> #-> rpm -ivh --relocate /usr/pgsql-11/=/u01/postgres/pg11_relocate/ postgresql11-server-11.1-1PGDG.rhel7.x86_64.rpm
> warning: postgresql11-server-11.1-1PGDG.rhel7.x86_64.rpm: Header V4 DSA/SHA1 Signature, key ID 442df0f8: NOKEY
>        path /usr/pgsql-11 in package postgresql11-server-11.1-1PGDG.rhel7.x86_64 is not relocatable
> [root@server1dev:/root/PG11]#

Then you'll probably have to get the source from the Pg download area and compile it yourself and use
"--prefix=/u01/postgres/pg11_relocate/"as an arg to the "configure" command. It's not hard, the process is well
documented.We do this and 1 reason is to have it install into /opt, although we also compile it ourselves so we know
what'sgoing into the install.

It's either that or let it install where it wants to and then put a symlink in the place you want it, as someone else
suggested.