BUG #15523: \df command not working in psql 10.4 postgres 11.1 version

From
PG Bug reporting form
Date:

Bug reference:      15523
Logged by:          Vaishakh K
Email address:      kmvaishakha@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 11.1
Operating system:   macOS High Sierra

ERROR:  column p.proisagg does not exist
LINE 6:   WHEN p.proisagg THEN 'agg'

Re: BUG #15523: \df command not working in psql 10.4 postgres 11.1 version

From
Sergei Kornilov
Date:
Hello

We already have warning in this case
> WARNING: psql major version 10, server major version 11.
>         Some psql features might not work.

Do you have this one?

regards, Sergei

Re: BUG #15523: \df command not working in psql 10.4 postgres 11.1version

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2018-Nov-27, PG Bug reporting form wrote:

> PostgreSQL version: 11.1
> Operating system:   macOS High Sierra
>
> ERROR:  column p.proisagg does not exist
> LINE 6:   WHEN p.proisagg THEN 'agg'

Ugh ... looks like we should have a test script that runs psql against
all older supported versions with all backslash commands to ensure
everything works correctly.  Cross-version support is not complicated,
we just need to remind people to do it.

Re: BUG #15523: \df command not working in psql 10.4 postgres 11.1 version

Date:
> On 2018-Nov-27, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
>> ERROR:  column p.proisagg does not exist
>> LINE 6:   WHEN p.proisagg THEN 'agg'

> Ugh ... looks like we should have a test script that runs psql against
> all older supported versions with all backslash commands to ensure
> everything works correctly.  Cross-version support is not complicated,
> we just need to remind people to do it.

No, this appears to be a forward-compatibility problem not a
backward-compatibility one.

Getting a time machine *is* complicated.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
> No, this appears to be a forward-compatibility problem not a
> backward-compatibility one.

Exactly. Using v10 server with v11 client works as expected. We have such error when using client v10 with server v11 -
withcorrect warning at psql startup.

regards, Sergei

Date:
On 2018-Nov-27, Sergei Kornilov wrote:

> > No, this appears to be a forward-compatibility problem not a
> > backward-compatibility one.
>
> Exactly. Using v10 server with v11 client works as expected. We have
> such error when using client v10 with server v11 - with correct
> warning at psql startup.

Doh.  Well, we don't promise forward-compatibility, so the only bug is
that Vaishakh ignored the warning at the start of the session indicating
that some psql commands may not work ... (only now I read Sergei's
message correctly)