REINDEX CONCURRENT?

From
Ron
Date:
Hi,

Is this very useful feature on the TODO list, and high enough that it might
get into v12?  (Indexes supporting PK and FK constraints just can't be
dropped to use CREATE INDEX CONCURRENT.)

Thanks

Re: REINDEX CONCURRENT?

From
David Rowley
Date:
On 9 November 2018 at 17:05, Ron <ronljohnsonjr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this very useful feature on the TODO list, and high enough that it might
> get into v12?  (Indexes supporting PK and FK constraints just can't be
> dropped to use CREATE INDEX CONCURRENT.)

There is a patch [1] in the current commitfest which allows indexes to
be renamed without taking an access exclusive lock.  That's a sort of
precursor to allowing REINDEX CONCURRENTLY as, although we can build
indexes without blocking, we can't rename them and it's not much good
if you do a reindex and the new index appears with some other random
name.  If that patch gets in with a good amount of time to spare then
there's a decent chance we'd see a reindex concurrently command patch
appear soon after.