Function for Exception Logging

From
Patrick FICHE

Hi community,

I would like to implement a function that would log managed Exceptions into a dedicated table.

For example, I have some code like :

BEGIN

Code generation exception

EXCEPTION

  WHEN OTHERS THEN Log_Error();

END;

The Log_Error function would be able to get the exception context / parameters to log the exception parameters into a table.

Is there any way to manage this without providing the Exception parameters as parameters to the Log_Error function ?

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick Fiche

Database Engineer, Aqsacom Sas.

c. 33 6 82 80 69 96

e. patrick.fiche@aqsacom.com

01-03_AQSA_Main_Corporate_Logo_JPEG_White_Low.jpg

Attachment

Re: Function for Exception Logging

From
Tony Shelver
Date:
I'd be interested if there is an answer to this.   The big issue with writing to a table is the interaction with rollbacks and commits.

Even more difficult in PG functions as they have no commit / rollback capability.  I haven't played with stored procedures in in PG11 yet.

In Oracle, I wrote logging / error messages to a logging file on the fire system, directly from PL/SQL.

This file can then be monitored for error messages via a messaging solutions.

Regards

[...]

Alexey Bashtanov
Date:
> Even more difficult in PG functions as they have no commit / rollback
> capability.  I haven't played with stored procedures in in PG11 yet.

You can simulate oracle autonomous transaction feature in postgres by
connecting to the same db using dblink.

As for implicit passing of error parameters, I don't think it's possible.

Best, Alex