Shell Command within function

From
Mike Martin
Date:
Is this possible?
I have a script which imports csvlogs into a table, and it would be useful to truncate the log files after import

thanks

Mike

Re: Shell Command within function

From
Andreas Kretschmer
Date:
On 26 October 2018 13:22:19 WEST, Mike Martin <redtux1@gmail.com> wrote:
>Is this possible?
>I have a script which imports csvlogs into a table, and it would be
>useful
>to truncate the log files after import

You can use an untrusted language (pl/perlu, pl/sh, ...).

Regards, Andreas

--
2ndQuadrant - The PostgreSQL Support Company

Re: Shell Command within function

From
Andrew Gierth
Date:

 Mike> Is this possible?

In an untrusted pl language, yes, but it's a bad idea because:

 Mike> I have a script which imports csvlogs into a table, and it would
 Mike> be useful to truncate the log files after import

If you had an error after truncating the file but before committing the
transaction, then the imported data would be gone, but the file would be
gone too, so you'd have lost it.

Things like this need to be handled _after_ commit, not before, so a
function is the wrong place for it.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)