PostgreSQL 11 Media Coverage

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
Hi,

I wanted to start the PostgreSQL 11 press and online coverage thread
just to aggregate what we are seeing.

I've seen:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18248050 (peaked at #1)
https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/prnewswire/press_releases/New_York/2018/10/18/MN43401
https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/18/10/r12528537/postgresql-11-released

Please feel free to add others!

Jonathan

Attachment

Re: PostgreSQL 11 Media Coverage

Date:
On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 12:26:25PM -0400, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to start the PostgreSQL 11 press and online coverage thread
> just to aggregate what we are seeing.
>
> I've seen:
>
> https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18248050 (peaked at #1)

This first URL has an interesting comment thread titled:

    Anyone has an idea on what makes postgresql both such a robust and
    always evolving db ? i’m amazed at the pace at which
    they’re adding deep features ( such as jit) without breaking
    anything release after release, in an open source environment.

Some of the interesting replies are:

    The PostgreSQL ethos, from the very beginning, has been "make it
    correct, then make it fast". I don't know a lot about the team structure
    but I do know they don't have much in the way of formal process. It's
    just a team of competent professionals making the world a better place.

    I guess it's simple: they have world-class engineers behind it. Of the
    smartest people in tech, that truly understand their craft. That, and a
    broad, open community.

    We're talking about an open source project used by millions of people
    that has gotten CONTINUOUSLY better over the course of decades - to the
    point where it is now - arguably - the best of its kind.

    And yes, it's a bit scary how smart some of the contributors
are.

All the comments are interesting.

Re: PostgreSQL 11 Media Coverage

From
Gavin Flower
Date:
On 19/10/2018 05:26, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to start the PostgreSQL 11 press and online coverage thread
> just to aggregate what we are seeing.
>
> I've seen:
>
> https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18248050 (peaked at #1)
> https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/prnewswire/press_releases/New_York/2018/10/18/MN43401
> https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/18/10/r12528537/postgresql-11-released
>
> Please feel free to add others!
>
> Jonathan

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=PostgreSQL-11.0-Released

-Gavin

Date:
On 19/10/2018 05:26, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wanted to start the PostgreSQL 11 press and online coverage thread
> just to aggregate what we are seeing.
>
> I've seen:
>
> https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=18248050 (peaked at #1)
> https://www.bizjournals.com/newyork/prnewswire/press_releases/New_York/2018/10/18/MN43401
> https://www.benzinga.com/pressreleases/18/10/r12528537/postgresql-11-released
>
> Please feel free to add others!
>
> Jonathan

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=PostgreSQL-11-JIT-Benchmarks

-Gavin

Re: PostgreSQL 11 Media Coverage

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
This one is late:

   https://modern-sql.com/blog/2019-02/postgresql-11

but has a nice title: "PostgreSQL 11 Reestablishes Window Functions Leadership" ;)