pgsql: Add list of acknowledgments to release notes

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Add list of acknowledgments to release notes

This contains all individuals mentioned in the commit messages during
PostgreSQL 11 development.

current through 7a2f70f0e5e83871d091ee479abea4b8f850dd29

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f9907c6ac2e9817baffe37c9087bedc8df3e9625

Modified Files
--------------
doc/src/sgml/release-11.sgml | 314 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-

Re: pgsql: Add list of acknowledgments to release notes

Date:
> Add list of acknowledgments to release notes

I notice that instead of using XML entities to represent non-ASCII
characters in people's names, you just shoved a bunch of UTF8 into
the file.  This doubtless is related to the build warnings
I'm seeing from the XML->PDF toolchain:

Oct 13, 2018 9:58:10 PM org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
WARNING: Glyph "?" (0x144, nacute) not available in font "Times-Roman".
Oct 13, 2018 9:58:10 PM org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
WARNING: Glyph "?" (0x15e, Scedilla) not available in font "Times-Roman".
Oct 13, 2018 9:58:10 PM org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
WARNING: Glyph "?" (0x15f, scedilla) not available in font "Times-Roman".
Oct 13, 2018 9:58:10 PM org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
WARNING: Glyph "?" (0x131, dotlessi) not available in font "Times-Roman".

I wonder how well these characters will render in different viewing
tools.  Maybe there's not much to be done, but should we entity-ify
the list where possible?

            regards, tom lane

Re: pgsql: Add list of acknowledgments to release notes

Date:
On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 10:03:28PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> I wonder how well these characters will render in different viewing
> tools.  Maybe there's not much to be done, but should we entity-ify
> the list where possible?

Previously SGML was Latin1 and we had to entity-ify them.  I have no
idea how our new XML toolchain behaves.

Date:
On 14/10/2018 04:03, Tom Lane wrote:
> Oct 13, 2018 9:58:10 PM org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
> WARNING: Glyph "?" (0x144, nacute) not available in font "Times-Roman".
> Oct 13, 2018 9:58:10 PM org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
> WARNING: Glyph "?" (0x15e, Scedilla) not available in font "Times-Roman".
> Oct 13, 2018 9:58:10 PM org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
> WARNING: Glyph "?" (0x15f, scedilla) not available in font "Times-Roman".
> Oct 13, 2018 9:58:10 PM org.apache.fop.events.LoggingEventListener processEvent
> WARNING: Glyph "?" (0x131, dotlessi) not available in font "Times-Roman".
>
> I wonder how well these characters will render in different viewing
> tools.  Maybe there's not much to be done, but should we entity-ify
> the list where possible?

This is not related to the encoding of these characters in the source.
It's just that we have never used these characters in previous releases
(new contributors).  A workaround would be to "unaccent" the affected
names.  Or look for a more complete font.  Or just leave it alone.

Re: pgsql: Add list of acknowledgments to release notes

Date:
> On 14/10/2018 04:03, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I wonder how well these characters will render in different viewing
>> tools.  Maybe there's not much to be done, but should we entity-ify
>> the list where possible?

> This is not related to the encoding of these characters in the source.
> It's just that we have never used these characters in previous releases
> (new contributors).  A workaround would be to "unaccent" the affected
> names.  Or look for a more complete font.  Or just leave it alone.

Well, I don't think leaving it alone is really nice.   Three of the
four warnings seem to come from a single entry:

Şahap Aşçı

That's copied-and-pasted from our website, where it seems to render
fine, but in the PDF file what I see is

#ahap A#ç#

The fourth warning comes from

Adam Biela#ski

As a short-term fix, maybe the thing to do is deaccent those two names.

BTW, there is also a fifth complaint

WARNING: Glyph "?" (0x3c0, pi) not available in font "Times-Roman".

which is evidently coming from the description of the pi() function.
So that proves that entity-ification doesn't help :-(

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On 14/10/2018 16:41, Tom Lane wrote:
> Well, I don't think leaving it alone is really nice.   Three of the
> four warnings seem to come from a single entry:
>
> Şahap Aşçı
>
> That's copied-and-pasted from our website, where it seems to render
> fine, but in the PDF file what I see is
>
> #ahap A#ç#
>
> The fourth warning comes from
>
> Adam Biela#ski
>
> As a short-term fix, maybe the thing to do is deaccent those two names.

committed the unaccenting fix

> BTW, there is also a fifth complaint
>
> WARNING: Glyph "?" (0x3c0, pi) not available in font "Times-Roman".
>
> which is evidently coming from the description of the pi() function.
> So that proves that entity-ification doesn't help :-(

I had seen that before.  That has existed for a longer time.  I didn't
do anything about this right now.