Doc patch: add RECURSIVE to bookindex

From
"Daniel Verite"
Date:
   Hi,

I've noticed that RECURSIVE as a term is not in the index,
and thought it should be.
PFA a patch to add it with references to WITH queries and CREATE VIEW.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite

Attachment

Re: Doc patch: add RECURSIVE to bookindex

From
Fabien COELHO
Date:
Hello Daniel,

> I've noticed that RECURSIVE as a term is not in the index, and thought
> it should be. PFA a patch to add it with references to WITH queries and
> CREATE VIEW.

Sounds reasonable.

Why referencing only create_view, but not delete, insert, update, select
or select_into where RECURSIVE is also used?

ISTM that at least the select page should be referenced, I'm less sure of
the others because there it appears only in the synopsys.

--
Fabien.

Date:
    Fabien COELHO wrote:

> Why referencing only create_view, but not delete, insert, update, select
> or select_into where RECURSIVE is also used?
>
> ISTM that at least the select page should be referenced, I'm less sure of
> the others because there it appears only in the synopsys.

Looking at other occurrences of <indexterm>, it seems
they're used quite sparingly, limiting the references to only
the pages that have the most relevant explanation for the term,
as opposed to trying to be exhaustive.

For instance, select.sgml has only three <indexterm>, and
the entries for WHERE or JOIN don't even refer to it.
ISTM that it's on purpose, to keep the index lean, and it works.

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite

Date:
>> Why referencing only create_view, but not delete, insert, update, select
>> or select_into where RECURSIVE is also used?
>>
>> ISTM that at least the select page should be referenced, I'm less sure of
>> the others because there it appears only in the synopsys.
>
> Looking at other occurrences of <indexterm>, it seems
> they're used quite sparingly, limiting the references to only
> the pages that have the most relevant explanation for the term,
> as opposed to trying to be exhaustive.
>
> For instance, select.sgml has only three <indexterm>, and
> the entries for WHERE or JOIN don't even refer to it.
> ISTM that it's on purpose, to keep the index lean, and it works.

Ok.

Patch applies cleanly, doc build ok, works for me.

--
Fabien.

Re: Doc patch: add RECURSIVE to bookindex

From
Fabien COELHO
Date:
Hello Daniel,

> Patch applies cleanly, doc build ok, works for me.

I have added it to the next CF and marked it as ready.

--
Fabien.

Re: Doc patch: add RECURSIVE to bookindex

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2018-Aug-01, Fabien COELHO wrote:

> Hello Daniel,
>
> > Patch applies cleanly, doc build ok, works for me.
>
> I have added it to the next CF and marked it as ready.

Pushed, thanks.

I applied it to 11 too.  I would have added it even further back, but it
didn't apply cleanly.

How about an index entry for "CSV"?