Fix error message when trying to alter statistics on includedcolumn

From
Yugo Nagata
Date:
Hi,

According to the error message, it is not allowed to alter statistics on
included column because this is "non-expression column".

 postgres=# create table test (i int, d int);
 CREATE TABLE
 postgres=# create index idx on test(i) include (d);
 CREATE INDEX
 postgres=# alter index idx alter column 2 set statistics 10;
 ERROR:  cannot alter statistics on non-expression column "d" of index "idx"
 HINT:  Alter statistics on table column instead.

However, I think this should be forbidded in that this is not a key column
but a included column. Even if we decide to support expressions in included
columns in future, it is meaningless to do this because any statistics on
included column is never used by the planner.

Attached is the patch to fix the error message. In this fix, column number
is checked first. After applying this, the message is changed as below;

 postgres=# alter index idx alter column 2 set statistics 10;
 ERROR:  cannot alter statistics on included column "d" of index "idx"

Yugo Nagata <nagata@sraoss.co.jp>

Attachment

Re: Fix error message when trying to alter statistics on included column

From
Robert Haas
Date:
On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 5:28 AM, Yugo Nagata <nagata@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
> According to the error message, it is not allowed to alter statistics on
> included column because this is "non-expression column".
>
>  postgres=# create table test (i int, d int);
>  CREATE TABLE
>  postgres=# create index idx on test(i) include (d);
>  CREATE INDEX
>  postgres=# alter index idx alter column 2 set statistics 10;
>  ERROR:  cannot alter statistics on non-expression column "d" of index "idx"
>  HINT:  Alter statistics on table column instead.
>
> However, I think this should be forbidded in that this is not a key column
> but a included column. Even if we decide to support expressions in included
> columns in future, it is meaningless to do this because any statistics on
> included column is never used by the planner.
>
> Attached is the patch to fix the error message. In this fix, column number
> is checked first. After applying this, the message is changed as below;
>
>  postgres=# alter index idx alter column 2 set statistics 10;
>  ERROR:  cannot alter statistics on included column "d" of index "idx"

I think you should add an open item for this.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Fix error message when trying to alter statistics on includedcolumn

From
Yugo Nagata
Date:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2018 14:23:09 -0400

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 5:28 AM, Yugo Nagata <nagata@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
> > According to the error message, it is not allowed to alter statistics on
> > included column because this is "non-expression column".
> >
> >  postgres=# create table test (i int, d int);
> >  CREATE TABLE
> >  postgres=# create index idx on test(i) include (d);
> >  CREATE INDEX
> >  postgres=# alter index idx alter column 2 set statistics 10;
> >  ERROR:  cannot alter statistics on non-expression column "d" of index "idx"
> >  HINT:  Alter statistics on table column instead.
> >
> > However, I think this should be forbidded in that this is not a key column
> > but a included column. Even if we decide to support expressions in included
> > columns in future, it is meaningless to do this because any statistics on
> > included column is never used by the planner.
> >
> > Attached is the patch to fix the error message. In this fix, column number
> > is checked first. After applying this, the message is changed as below;
> >
> >  postgres=# alter index idx alter column 2 set statistics 10;
> >  ERROR:  cannot alter statistics on included column "d" of index "idx"
>
> I think you should add an open item for this.

I was about to add this to the wiki, but someone has already done this. Thanks!
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_11_Open_Items

> --
> Robert Haas
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Yugo Nagata <nagata@sraoss.co.jp>

Re: Fix error message when trying to alter statistics on includedcolumn

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi Alexander, Teodor,

On 2018-06-28 18:28:03 +0900, Yugo Nagata wrote:
> According to the error message, it is not allowed to alter statistics on
> included column because this is "non-expression column".
>
>  postgres=# create table test (i int, d int);
>  CREATE TABLE
>  postgres=# create index idx on test(i) include (d);
>  CREATE INDEX
>  postgres=# alter index idx alter column 2 set statistics 10;
>  ERROR:  cannot alter statistics on non-expression column "d" of index "idx"
>  HINT:  Alter statistics on table column instead.

Is either of you going to take care of this one? IIRC Teodor committed
the underlying patch, and Alexander wrote parts of it?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Fix error message when trying to alter statistics on includedcolumn

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2018-Jun-28, Yugo Nagata wrote:

> According to the error message, it is not allowed to alter statistics on
> included column because this is "non-expression column".
>
>  postgres=# create table test (i int, d int);
>  CREATE TABLE
>  postgres=# create index idx on test(i) include (d);
>  CREATE INDEX
>  postgres=# alter index idx alter column 2 set statistics 10;
>  ERROR:  cannot alter statistics on non-expression column "d" of index "idx"
>  HINT:  Alter statistics on table column instead.
>
> However, I think this should be forbidded in that this is not a key column
> but a included column. Even if we decide to support expressions in included
> columns in future, it is meaningless to do this because any statistics on
> included column is never used by the planner.

I agree with this reasoning, so I pushed this patch.  Thanks!  I added a
couple of lines in the regress file for this feature also.

Teodor, Alexander, now would be the time to express dissent :-)