pgsql: Convert debug message from ereport to elog

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Convert debug message from ereport to elog

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8a07ebb3c172374aa2c83df61c4e05c059511c9a

Modified Files
--------------
src/backend/replication/logical/worker.c | 8 ++++----

Re: pgsql: Convert debug message from ereport to elog

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
Just out of curiosity, what is the reason why you did this?  I guess
using elog instead of ereport for debugging message is preferable,
while for non debugging messages using ereport is preferable, but
actually sometimes elog is used for error messages in the file.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Date:
> Just out of curiosity, what is the reason why you did this?  I guess

This made a message consistent with an analogous message in
apply_handle_update() earlier in the file.

> using elog instead of ereport for debugging message is preferable,
> while for non debugging messages using ereport is preferable, but
> actually sometimes elog is used for error messages in the file.

I think this is not done perfectly consistently, and there are
possibilities for improvement.

Re: pgsql: Convert debug message from ereport to elog

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
Peter,

>> Just out of curiosity, what is the reason why you did this?  I guess
>
> This made a message consistent with an analogous message in
> apply_handle_update() earlier in the file.
>
>> using elog instead of ereport for debugging message is preferable,
>> while for non debugging messages using ereport is preferable, but
>> actually sometimes elog is used for error messages in the file.
>
> I think this is not done perfectly consistently, and there are
> possibilities for improvement.

Thanks for the explanation. Probably we want add/change something to
"54.2. Reporting Errors Within the Server" In this section I see:

There is an older function elog that is still heavily used. An elog call:
:
:
Therefore, elog should be used only for internal errors and low-level debug logging.

From the last sentence I feel like elog is not recommended for any
puporse (and ereport will better even for this case). But if we prefer
to use elog for internal errors and low-level debug logging over
ereport, then above might be better changed something like:

Therefore, elog should be used only for internal errors and low-level
debug logging. Also for these purposes ereport should not be used.

What do you think?
--

Date:
On 6/15/18 06:53, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> Therefore, elog should be used only for internal errors and low-level
> debug logging. Also for these purposes ereport should not be used.

ereport() has the advantage that if the debug level excludes the
message, then the errmsg() call won't even be run and therefore the
message doesn't have to be computed.  So actually ereport() is
preferable in many cases for debug messages.