Add CONTRIBUTING.md

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi,

A lot of people contribute in communities via github these days. We
should add a CONTRIBUTING.md that explains how to do so, given that we
don't use github. That's shown automatically when doing a pull requests
etc.

I think it's also a good idea to have it in the source tree independent
of github, it's very hard to figure out where to start from a git
clone / tarball.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Add CONTRIBUTING.md

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
A lot of people contribute in communities via github these days. We
should add a CONTRIBUTING.md that explains how to do so, given that we
don't use github. That's shown automatically when doing a pull requests
etc.

I think it's also a good idea to have it in the source tree independent
of github, it's very hard to figure out where to start from a git
clone / tarball.

+1. This would be useful for us internally as well, and using the github format makes sense because a lot of users are used to it, so that's where they're going to go look first.

--

Re: Add CONTRIBUTING.md

From
Joe Conway
Date:
On 05/29/2018 11:38 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 5:36 PM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de
> <mailto:andres@anarazel.de>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     A lot of people contribute in communities via github these days. We
>     should add a CONTRIBUTING.md that explains how to do so, given that we
>     don't use github. That's shown automatically when doing a pull requests
>     etc.
>
>     I think it's also a good idea to have it in the source tree independent
>     of github, it's very hard to figure out where to start from a git
>     clone / tarball.
>

> +1. This would be useful for us internally as well, and using the github
> format makes sense because a lot of users are used to it, so that's
> where they're going to go look first.

+1

--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com

Re: Add CONTRIBUTING.md

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
>>     A lot of people contribute in communities via github these days. We
>>     should add a CONTRIBUTING.md that explains how to do so, given that we
>>     don't use github. That's shown automatically when doing a pull requests
>>     etc.
>>
>>     I think it's also a good idea to have it in the source tree independent
>>     of github, it's very hard to figure out where to start from a git
>>     clone / tarball.
>>

>> +1. This would be useful for us internally as well, and using the github
>> format makes sense because a lot of users are used to it, so that's
>> where they're going to go look first.
>
> +1

Sounds good to me as well.

Best regards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Re: Add CONTRIBUTING.md

From
Andrew Gierth
Date:

 Andres> Hi,

 Andres> A lot of people contribute in communities via github these
 Andres> days. We should add a CONTRIBUTING.md that explains how to do
 Andres> so, given that we don't use github. That's shown automatically
 Andres> when doing a pull requests etc.

WHile you're at it, you could also add an .editorconfig so that github
displays code with 4-character tabs.

(e.g. https://github.com/RhodiumToad/pllua-ng/blob/master/.editorconfig  )

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)

Re: Add CONTRIBUTING.md

From
Andres Freund
Date:
On 2018-05-29 18:03:03 +0100, Andrew Gierth wrote:

>  Andres> Hi,
>
>  Andres> A lot of people contribute in communities via github these
>  Andres> days. We should add a CONTRIBUTING.md that explains how to do
>  Andres> so, given that we don't use github. That's shown automatically
>  Andres> when doing a pull requests etc.
>
> WHile you're at it, you could also add an .editorconfig so that github
> displays code with 4-character tabs.
>
> (e.g. https://github.com/RhodiumToad/pllua-ng/blob/master/.editorconfig  )

+1 - why don't you start a thread about it? I'd actually even suggest
backpatching it.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Add CONTRIBUTING.md

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
> On May 29, 2018, at 11:55 AM, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp> wrote:
>
>>>    A lot of people contribute in communities via github these days. We
>>>    should add a CONTRIBUTING.md that explains how to do so, given that we
>>>    don't use github. That's shown automatically when doing a pull requests
>>>    etc.
>>>
>>>    I think it's also a good idea to have it in the source tree independent
>>>    of github, it's very hard to figure out where to start from a git
>>>    clone / tarball.
>>>

>>> +1. This would be useful for us internally as well, and using the github
>>> format makes sense because a lot of users are used to it, so that's
>>> where they're going to go look first.
>>
>> +1
>
> Sounds good to me as well.

+1.

Do we have some content we can start with? This would also
coincide well with the content we want to move from the wiki
to www.

Jonathan

Re: Add CONTRIBUTING.md

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2018-Jun-01, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> This would also coincide well with the content we want to move from
> the wiki to www.

What content is that?

Re: Add CONTRIBUTING.md

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
> On Jun 1, 2018, at 6:01 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>
> On 2018-Jun-01, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>
>> This would also coincide well with the content we want to move from
>> the wiki to www.
>
> What content is that?

Per a discussion at the developer meeting, basically the “locked content”
on the wiki around developer policies, etc. Unfortunately, we did not list
it out in the notes, and thus I have to do some inquiring to pull the official
list of pages.

Jonathan

Re: Add CONTRIBUTING.md

From
Andres Freund
Date:
On 2018-06-03 13:30:58 -0400, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> > On Jun 1, 2018, at 6:01 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 2018-Jun-01, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> >
> >> This would also coincide well with the content we want to move from
> >> the wiki to www.
> >
> > What content is that?
>
> Per a discussion at the developer meeting, basically the “locked content”
> on the wiki around developer policies, etc. Unfortunately, we did not list
> it out in the notes, and thus I have to do some inquiring to pull the official
> list of pages.

I'd even start out with something more minimal, in the interest of
incremental forward progress. I think we'd basically need a reference
to:

a) the original source code lives on git.pg.o - sites like github are
   just mirrors.
b) commitfest app (and then later docs about it), so people know where
   to go to open the equivalent of a pull request
c) link to developer section in the docs, for style etc

does that sound like a reasonable outline?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Add CONTRIBUTING.md

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On 2018-Jun-03, Andres Freund wrote:

> I'd even start out with something more minimal, in the interest of
> incremental forward progress. I think we'd basically need a reference
> to:
>
> a) the original source code lives on git.pg.o - sites like github are
>    just mirrors.
> b) commitfest app (and then later docs about it), so people know where
>    to go to open the equivalent of a pull request
> c) link to developer section in the docs, for style etc

Looks good to me.  Also mention mailing lists?

Maybe we should give it a prominent place in our website under
https://www.postgresql.org/developer/ -- maybe replace the entire "What
will you find here?" section with the html-rendered version of that.

I suppose our gitweb will not display the CONTRIBUTING.md file in any
useful way, would it?

Re: Add CONTRIBUTING.md

From
Andres Freund
Date:
Hi,

On 2018-06-03 15:17:34 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On 2018-Jun-03, Andres Freund wrote:
>
> > I'd even start out with something more minimal, in the interest of
> > incremental forward progress. I think we'd basically need a reference
> > to:
> >
> > a) the original source code lives on git.pg.o - sites like github are
> >    just mirrors.
> > b) commitfest app (and then later docs about it), so people know where
> >    to go to open the equivalent of a pull request
> > c) link to developer section in the docs, for style etc
>
> Looks good to me.  Also mention mailing lists?

Yea, definitely.

> Maybe we should give it a prominent place in our website under
> https://www.postgresql.org/developer/ -- maybe replace the entire "What
> will you find here?" section with the html-rendered version of that.

That seems like a good second step.

> I suppose our gitweb will not display the CONTRIBUTING.md file in any
> useful way, would it?

I don't think gitweb displays any files as special :(.  It's not exactly
heavily developed...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: Add CONTRIBUTING.md

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 10:10 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> WHile you're at it, you could also add an .editorconfig so that github
>> displays code with 4-character tabs.
>>
>> (e.g. https://github.com/RhodiumToad/pllua-ng/blob/master/.editorconfig  )
>
> +1 - why don't you start a thread about it? I'd actually even suggest
> backpatching it.

PostGIS has one of these too, which covers several languages,
including SQL. Perhaps it would be worth tightening up the indentation
of SQL files while we're at it.

--
Peter Geoghegan