Extract date portion of a datetime field

From
JORGE MALDONADO
Date:
Hello,

I have a table with a datetime field which saves (of course) date and time information. I need to design a query to count the number of records of each date without taking into account the time portion. I have seen that I can use functions like EXTRACT but I do not find how to extract the whole date only.

I will very much appreciate your feedback.

Respectfully,
Jorge Maldonado

Re: Extract date portion of a datetime field

Date:
JORGE MALDONADO <jorgemal1960@gmail.com> writes:
> I have a table with a datetime field which saves (of course) date and time
> information. I need to design a query to count the number of records of
> each date without taking into account the time portion. I have seen that I
> can use functions like EXTRACT but I do not find how to extract the whole
> date only.

Cast to date?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Extract date portion of a datetime field

From
Scott Ford
Date:
I've used something like this in the past:

SELECT COUNT(p.index_value)
, p.create_datetime::date
FROM people p
GROUP BY p.create_datetime::date

Simple, but it works.

Scott

--

Scott Ford
Director of Development

Bullfrog Power Inc.
366 Adelaide Street West, Suite 701
Toronto, ON  M5V 1R9

t:  416.300.8443
f:  416.360.8385

w. bullfrogpower.com

Re: Extract date portion of a datetime field

From
"David G. Johnston"
Date: